This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Origin on pace to surpass Steam by next year

#31strongo9Posted 1/16/2014 12:24:55 PM
registered =/= active
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#32monkmithPosted 1/16/2014 12:29:26 PM(edited)
only games i've got on origin are either ones i've gotten for free, or ones i could not get on steam. i don't really like steam but at least they aren't EA.

EDIT: though in defense, kind of, of EA, there is no ****ing way they are the worst company in the world. that poll was just mass spammed by a bunch of kids with nothing better to do than ***** about games; far worse companies out there that actually do serious ****.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#33Daz_man123Posted 1/16/2014 12:32:43 PM
xKynOx posted...
My ea account got transformed into a origin account, these numbers are BS

If that's the case, I have 3 origin accounts... None of them are actively used.
#34SinisterSlayPosted 1/16/2014 12:35:17 PM
Daz_man123 posted...
xKynOx posted...
My ea account got transformed into a origin account, these numbers are BS

If that's the case, I have 3 origin accounts... None of them are actively used.

Wow yeah me too, I'd have like 6 of them. Mostly from my Need for speed underground days.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35Bikes-Posted 1/16/2014 12:43:25 PM
Almost half their user base is on mobile according to the article, where steam is PC only (minus companion apps and what have you)

Also note how instead of doing a direct comparison to steam's recent announcement, they start pulling a bunch of worthless numbers to show off. Not that they're very good numbers if you do the averages:

Achievements:
About 3.17 achievements per person. Considering how often achievements are just thrown at you that means almost no one is actually finishing their games. I have a abysmal completion rate and I average over 500 achievements on steam a year (though I do have a lot of games).

Time:
20.33 hours a year. Which is maybe 2 games a year (Less for longer games, I've spent more time in SR4 alone this year)

Logins:
14 logins a year. Considering almost everyone I know on steam logs on maybe 4-5 times a week that's pretty laughable.

Chats:
5.99 chats. I talked to 3 people on steam this morning, so keep on truckin EA.

Obviously this all gets messed up by how many accounts are probably inactive and I also play more than a casual would so comparison to myself aren't perfect, but just saying, don't publish numbers that make you look bad if you actually think them through.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#36DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/16/2014 1:05:13 PM
Bikes- posted...
Almost half their user base is on mobile according to the article, where steam is PC only (minus companion apps and what have you)

Also note how instead of doing a direct comparison to steam's recent announcement, they start pulling a bunch of worthless numbers to show off. Not that they're very good numbers if you do the averages:

Achievements:
About 3.17 achievements per person. Considering how often achievements are just thrown at you that means almost no one is actually finishing their games. I have a abysmal completion rate and I average over 500 achievements on steam a year (though I do have a lot of games).

Time:
20.33 hours a year. Which is maybe 2 games a year (Less for longer games, I've spent more time in SR4 alone this year)

Logins:
14 logins a year. Considering almost everyone I know on steam logs on maybe 4-5 times a week that's pretty laughable.

Chats:
5.99 chats. I talked to 3 people on steam this morning, so keep on truckin EA.

Obviously this all gets messed up by how many accounts are probably inactive and I also play more than a casual would so comparison to myself aren't perfect, but just saying, don't publish numbers that make you look bad if you actually think them through.

Less than one achievement per person per year, by my calculations. In fact, less than a percent of an achievement.
158,952,020/365/50,000,000 = 0.009 achievements per person per year.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seemed to be implied that it was achievements in 2013 and not total.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#37Bikes-Posted 1/16/2014 1:13:31 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Bikes- posted...
Math.

Less than one achievement per person per year, by my calculations. In fact, less than a percent of an achievement.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seemed to be implied that it was achievements in 2013 and not total.

If you divide by 365 you would get number of achievements per day. And most of the stats (minus accounts) all refer to how many that year. We don't know total, so we can only do based on this year's stuff.

#38runromPosted 1/16/2014 1:23:25 PM
TC gets destroyed in thread. Doesn't show up again to save face.

gg.
---
MBP 2009 | i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz | AMD 7870 | PS Vita | Nintendo 3DS | HP Touchpad
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#39DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/16/2014 1:23:56 PM
Bikes- posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Bikes- posted...
Math.

If you divide by 365 you would get number of achievements per day. And most of the stats (minus accounts) all refer to how many that year. We don't know total, so we can only do based on this year's stuff.

Woops, stupid me.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#40rusty12000Posted 1/16/2014 1:30:00 PM
LOL that is golden, The majority of Orgin users got it exclusively for that humble bundle they had. EA games in general are **** quality, No one should support them.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM