This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would anyone want a Steam Machine? It's a gaming PC with a lot less software

#1Shovel_BreakPosted 1/16/2014 1:32:59 PM
Games need to be ported to Steam OS, recent and future EA releases wont be playable because it's Steam only, etc.

Why would anyone get one and not just a gaming PC?
---
Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us"
Gaming has reached a new level (Only on PlayStation)
#2SinisterSlayPosted 1/16/2014 1:34:33 PM
EA makes worthwhile PC games?

Are you trying to start rumors?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ClouddxPosted 1/16/2014 1:36:37 PM
Shovel_Break posted...
Games need to be ported to Steam OS, recent and future EA releases wont be playable because it's Steam only, etc.

Why would anyone get one and not just a gaming PC?

You don't understand how it works do you?
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#4TropicMoon10Posted 1/16/2014 1:39:09 PM
We need at least a year or two before judging SteamOS. Buying a Steam Machine at launch is no different as buying any other console. Although unlike consoles you'll have SOME (more like plenty of) games available at launch.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5monkmithPosted 1/16/2014 1:55:28 PM(edited)
TropicMoon10 posted...
We need at least a year or two before judging SteamOS. Buying a Steam Machine at launch is no different as buying any other console. Although unlike consoles you'll have SOME (more like plenty of) games available at launch.

major difference between buying a console and buying a steam machine is that while you can't build your own system that plays console games you can build your own pc to play pc games. and generally its going to be cheaper. beyond that steam machines are going to have widely differing specs, so unlike consoles you wont have games that are optimally designed for the rig (which in a perfect world it should be with consoles).

the reality is that the steam machine is marketed for the console consumer, someone afraid to build their own pc but willing to drop a large amount of money on a marked up product.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#6ClouddxPosted 1/16/2014 1:56:45 PM
monkmith posted...
TropicMoon10 posted...

major difference between buying a console and buying a steam machine is that while you can't build your own system that plays console games you can build your own pc to play pc games. and generally its going to be cheaper. beyond that steam machines are going to have widely differing specs, so unlike consoles you wont have games that are optimally designed for the rig (which in a perfect world it should be with consoles).

the reality is that the steam machine is marketed for the console consumer, someone afraid to build their own pc but willing to drop a large amount of money on a marked up product.

Really? The $500 one isn't too expensive, and has decent enough hardware.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#7water1111Posted 1/16/2014 2:01:10 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

TitanFall > All the indie games + early access games.
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#8SinisterSlayPosted 1/16/2014 2:03:18 PM
water1111 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

No I don't think that's true, TitanFall is just another dudebro shooter. We have a million of those already. You can play one by another company and get the same experience.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9water1111Posted 1/16/2014 2:07:44 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
water1111 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

No I don't think that's true, TitanFall is just another dudebro shooter. We have a million of those already. You can play one by another company and get the same experience.

It isn't early access, it isn't indie, its DD platform is devoid of all the crap I hate about steam its the only worthwhile game on PC for a loooooooooooong time.
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#10SinisterSlayPosted 1/16/2014 2:10:45 PM
water1111 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
water1111 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

It isn't early access, it isn't indie, its DD platform is devoid of all the crap I hate about steam its the only worthwhile game on PC for a loooooooooooong time.

Your arguement ignores Warband, therefore you are wrong.
---