This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lag in Bigger TVs?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Lag in Bigger TVs?
2 years ago#1
I just got out of console gaming and planning to get a gaming PC. One of the things I noticed when I was playing on a 47" TV with my PS3 was the significant lag it had on.

Do PCs encounter this lag problem as well when faced with larger TVs?
2 years ago#2
TVs generally have more input lag, it really depends on the model. Some are good but still can't compete with certain monitors.

Input lag of <40ms is considered very good for TVs. Computer monitors go down to 2ms I believe, and above 10ms people are often skeptical about.
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
2 years ago#3
HDTVs are terrible for gaming. I know mine has a terrible delay. It's like, *Button tap* *Slight pause* *Character jump*

Faster paced games are unplayable.
2 years ago#4
My Xbox360 is connected to my virtually lagless computer monitor, going back to a normal TV changes everything as the games I play suffer dramatically from even the slightest input delay.
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
2 years ago#5
Ch3wy posted...
TVs generally have more input lag, it really depends on the model. Some are good but still can't compete with certain monitors.

Input lag of <40ms is considered very good for TVs. Computer monitors go down to 2ms I believe, and above 10ms people are often skeptical about.

I'm not sure if they even have 2ms input lag monitors. Here's a list of a lot of monitors, TV's etc, and the lowest is 9ms.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

I'm sure it's nowhere near a complete list, but it seems pretty solid.
2 years ago#6
The monitor I mentioned above is 5ms
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
2 years ago#7
AnatomyHorror posted...
Ch3wy posted...

I'm not sure if they even have 2ms input lag monitors. Here's a list of a lot of monitors, TV's etc, and the lowest is 9ms.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

I'm sure it's nowhere near a complete list, but it seems pretty solid.

I could have sworn when I was looking for a monitor it was pretty normal for a TN panel to be 5ms or less. Granted these were probably advertised numbers I was looking at(maybe response time instead of total input lag?), not tested numbers.

I do find it hard to believe that an IPS panel is at the top of the list for lowest input lag.
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
2 years ago#8
Rexdragon125 posted...
HDTVs are terrible for gaming. I know mine has a terrible delay. It's like, *Button tap* *Slight pause* *Character jump*

Faster paced games are unplayable.

Your HDTV is terrible for gaming. Mine is great. It's like *button tap/immediate jump*. Almost no difference between it and my monitor other than less ppi, but I still game on the HDTV 80% of the time.
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
2 years ago#9
I guess that's what I get for expecting 2007 technology to be good. I'd have to get a new TV if I cared about consoles.
2 years ago#10
My Sony 55" W900A is great for gaming, 17 ms input delay is perfect for my needs, i was finally able to replace my monitor with a big screen now that i can play fighting games on it properly
George Likes Spicy Chicken
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Lag in Bigger TVs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived