This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lag in Bigger TVs?

#1LaggingRedPosted 1/17/2014 6:44:17 AM
I just got out of console gaming and planning to get a gaming PC. One of the things I noticed when I was playing on a 47" TV with my PS3 was the significant lag it had on.

Do PCs encounter this lag problem as well when faced with larger TVs?
#2Ch3wyPosted 1/17/2014 6:47:31 AM
TVs generally have more input lag, it really depends on the model. Some are good but still can't compete with certain monitors.

Input lag of <40ms is considered very good for TVs. Computer monitors go down to 2ms I believe, and above 10ms people are often skeptical about.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3Rexdragon125Posted 1/17/2014 6:54:06 AM
HDTVs are terrible for gaming. I know mine has a terrible delay. It's like, *Button tap* *Slight pause* *Character jump*

Faster paced games are unplayable.
#4RagnarokxvPosted 1/17/2014 7:03:54 AM
My Xbox360 is connected to my virtually lagless computer monitor, going back to a normal TV changes everything as the games I play suffer dramatically from even the slightest input delay.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#5AnatomyHorrorPosted 1/17/2014 7:09:24 AM
Ch3wy posted...
TVs generally have more input lag, it really depends on the model. Some are good but still can't compete with certain monitors.

Input lag of <40ms is considered very good for TVs. Computer monitors go down to 2ms I believe, and above 10ms people are often skeptical about.

I'm not sure if they even have 2ms input lag monitors. Here's a list of a lot of monitors, TV's etc, and the lowest is 9ms.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

I'm sure it's nowhere near a complete list, but it seems pretty solid.
#6RagnarokxvPosted 1/17/2014 7:13:49 AM
The monitor I mentioned above is 5ms
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#7Ch3wyPosted 1/17/2014 7:17:39 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Ch3wy posted...

I'm not sure if they even have 2ms input lag monitors. Here's a list of a lot of monitors, TV's etc, and the lowest is 9ms.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

I'm sure it's nowhere near a complete list, but it seems pretty solid.

I could have sworn when I was looking for a monitor it was pretty normal for a TN panel to be 5ms or less. Granted these were probably advertised numbers I was looking at(maybe response time instead of total input lag?), not tested numbers.

I do find it hard to believe that an IPS panel is at the top of the list for lowest input lag.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8overkillwfo1978Posted 1/17/2014 7:20:37 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
HDTVs are terrible for gaming. I know mine has a terrible delay. It's like, *Button tap* *Slight pause* *Character jump*

Faster paced games are unplayable.

Your HDTV is terrible for gaming. Mine is great. It's like *button tap/immediate jump*. Almost no difference between it and my monitor other than less ppi, but I still game on the HDTV 80% of the time.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#9Rexdragon125Posted 1/17/2014 7:36:14 AM
I guess that's what I get for expecting 2007 technology to be good. I'd have to get a new TV if I cared about consoles.
#10WaywardBiscuitPosted 1/17/2014 7:47:14 AM
My Sony 55" W900A is great for gaming, 17 ms input delay is perfect for my needs, i was finally able to replace my monitor with a big screen now that i can play fighting games on it properly
---
George Likes Spicy Chicken