This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the consensus on ibuypower?

#1BatenKaitos72Posted 1/17/2014 8:19:47 AM
My friend is interested in finally getting gaming pc. His wife's sister's husband has convinced him that ibuypower is the way to go. I thought the build was a bit overkill and am trying to convince him to build his own.

Is ibuypower overpriced is the question I guess I am asking.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Asus 660 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z77A-G41 | Raidmax Hybrid 2 | 1 TB Western Digital HDD |
#2aak57Posted 1/17/2014 8:22:18 AM
Overpriced definitely, and if you don't specify the parts they will give you the crappiest stuff imaginable. This is especially relevant for power supplies since a bad one can die after a few months and in some cases even take the rest of the PC with it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 1/17/2014 8:25:34 AM(edited)
Are we talking about the steam machine?
Don't buy unless you intend to install Windows.

Unless between now and release AMD suddenly learns how to write drivers for Linux and full opengl support for Linux.
It took AMD 20 years for windows, so i wouldn't hold my breath.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Ch3wyPosted 1/17/2014 8:28:45 AM
If they refuse to build their own I suggest ecollegepc instead. 3 year warranty, choose your own parts including mobo and psu, decent pricing but they overprice the GPUs so order that separately.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5BatenKaitos72(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:39:43 AM
It would be him paying me like 50 bucks to build it and then comes with free cable ties for management and I have Windows 7 already for him so thats saving 100 dollars right there. He was talked into the flashiest stuff, he doesn't plan to O'C and they got him a liquid cooler. Just get an aftermarket. He hasn't responded to my review yet, so he must still be sleeping.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Asus 660 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z77A-G41 | Raidmax Hybrid 2 | 1 TB Western Digital HDD |
#6Ch3wyPosted 1/17/2014 8:41:56 AM
BatenKaitos72 posted...
It would be him paying me like 50 bucks to build it and then comes with free cable ties for management and I have Windows 7 already for him so thats saving 100 dollars right there. He was talked into the flashiest stuff, he doesn't plan to O'C and they got him a liquid cooler. Just get an aftermarket. He hasn't responded to my review yet, so he must still be sleeping.

If he doesn't take up that offer he's dumb as hell and if you give me his address I will go there and kick him in the testicles.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7blankempathyPosted 1/17/2014 9:16:27 AM
BatenKaitos72 posted...

Liquid cooler for what? If hes not planning on ocing thats such a waste of money
---
I like video games.
#8SlashmanSGPosted 1/17/2014 9:21:45 AM
I just got a laptop from them, and I'm happy with it. Got it on cyber monday so I got a bunch of discounts and free upgrades.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#9doctoglethorpePosted 1/17/2014 9:37:27 AM
They use cheap, often refurbished parts. Meaning: They usually don't last long. Avoid.

Smack him until he relents and builds custom. You'll be doing him a great favour no matter how hard he resists. Remember, 50 no's and a yes is a yes.
#10Ork_HeroPosted 1/17/2014 9:50:01 AM
I've ordered from them and have no complaints. I don't buy full systems from them since they're definitely overpriced but during holiday sales they have some pretty nice deals.
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl