This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I go PS4 + Alienware Steam Machine this gen?

#1Shovel_BreakPosted 1/17/2014 8:34:15 AM
After hearing some people talk about what a Steam Machine can do and I am not a PC gamer, it sounds like it's the right product for me. But is a $500 range one worth it if I have a PS4? My biggest grip with the PS4 and Xbox One is that they don't play PS3 and 360 games, and there are a lot of last gen games that I don't want t let go of. The thing about playing them on a Steam Machine though is that the PC versions will look as good as PS4 games.

Now is an Alienware Steam Machine worth it if I want to play these games? These are the following

Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 1 & 2
Devil May Cry 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Batman Arkham Asylum, City, & Origins
Titanfall
Sonic Generations
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Mortal Kombat
Splinter Cell Conviction & Blacklist
BioShock 1, 2, & Infinite
State of Decay
Alan Wake

There are also some PC only games like DayZ that I want to play
---
Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us"
Gaming has reached a new level (Only on PlayStation)
#2ShubPosted 1/17/2014 8:38:19 AM(edited)
Shovel_Break posted...
Now is an Alienware Steam Machine worth it if I want to play these games?

This question cannot be answered until the actual, full, detailed specs of Alienware's Steam Machine are published. So far we know it has an Intel Haswell CPU and an nVidia video card. That's vague at best.
Also be prepared to remove Steam OS and buy/install Windows if you want to play those games.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3ShadowThaReaperPosted 1/17/2014 8:38:53 AM
Why the hell would you get a PS4?

If anything, get a Wii U. It actually has games.
#4Ch3wyPosted 1/17/2014 8:40:21 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...

You can play pretty much those same games on a Gamecube. Mario, Luigi, Zelda, PIkmin, Super Smash Bros, it's got them all.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:40:57 AM
Shub posted...
Shovel_Break posted...
Now is an Alienware Steam Machine worth it if I want to play these games?

This question cannot be answered until the actual, full, detailed specs of Alienware's Steam Machine are published. So far we know it has an Intel Haswell CPU and an nVidia video card. That's vague at best.
Also be prepared to remove Steam OS and buy/install Windows if you want to play those games.

How hard will it be to remove the Steam OS and install Windows?
---
#6ShubPosted 1/17/2014 8:41:47 AM
Shovel_Break posted...

If the manufacturers don't put any blocks in their systems, it'll be extremely easy.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:43:22 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...

I have a PS4 because of Killzone: Shadow Fall that I'm addicted to, and I'll be getting inFamous: Second Son in a couple of months.

I have a friend with a Wii U, I played Super Mario 3D World and it was just ok but it wasn't something I wanted to buy, the only Wii U game that may convince me is Smash Bros.
---
#8Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:44:51 AM
Shub posted...
Shovel_Break posted...

If the manufacturers don't put any blocks in their systems, it'll be extremely easy.

Wait, can't I have the Steam Os and Windows at the same time?
---
#9ShadowThaReaperPosted 1/17/2014 8:45:01 AM
Ch3wy posted...
You can play pretty much those same games on a Gamecube. Mario, Luigi, Zelda, PIkmin, Super Smash Bros, it's got them all.

You can play the same games on PS3 that are on PS4. Killzone, CoD, BF4, sports games.

Shovel_Break posted...
I have a PS4 because of Killzone: Shadow Fall that I'm addicted to, and I'll be getting inFamous: Second Son in a couple of months.

I have a friend with a Wii U, I played Super Mario 3D World and it was just ok but it wasn't something I wanted to buy, the only Wii U game that may convince me is Smash Bros.

But Killzone is so generic and lame. You should also play Wonderful 101.
#10ShubPosted 1/17/2014 8:45:23 AM
Oh sure you can. That'll probably be a bit more complicated but when the time comes, I'm sure people will publish guides to do that online.
---
-What is best in life?