This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I go PS4 + Alienware Steam Machine this gen?

#11MasterDonGeroPosted 1/17/2014 8:48:04 AM
Shub posted...
Oh sure you can. That'll probably be a bit more complicated but when the time comes, I'm sure people will publish guides to do that online.

You could also just buy another hard drive.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#12Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:50:36 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Ch3wy posted...
You can play pretty much those same games on a Gamecube. Mario, Luigi, Zelda, PIkmin, Super Smash Bros, it's got them all.

You can play the same games on PS3 that are on PS4. Killzone, CoD, BF4, sports games.

Shovel_Break posted...
I have a PS4 because of Killzone: Shadow Fall that I'm addicted to, and I'll be getting inFamous: Second Son in a couple of months.

I have a friend with a Wii U, I played Super Mario 3D World and it was just ok but it wasn't something I wanted to buy, the only Wii U game that may convince me is Smash Bros.

But Killzone is so generic and lame. You should also play Wonderful 101.

Killzone is anything but generic, I have played Call of Duty and Battlefield with my friends and while they were fun for a while they never really "stood out". The feel of Killzone's guns, the way the Helghast react and respond in gun fights, and brutal melee have made me fall in love with the series. And Shadow Fall takes all that a step further, even adding some adventure elements it feels like at times
---
Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us"
Gaming has reached a new level (Only on PlayStation)
#13BobbyB3000Posted 1/17/2014 8:50:59 AM
Shovel_Break posted...
After hearing some people talk about what a Steam Machine can do and I am not a PC gamer, it sounds like it's the right product for me. But is a $500 range one worth it if I have a PS4? My biggest grip with the PS4 and Xbox One is that they don't play PS3 and 360 games, and there are a lot of last gen games that I don't want t let go of. The thing about playing them on a Steam Machine though is that the PC versions will look as good as PS4 games.

Now is an Alienware Steam Machine worth it if I want to play these games? These are the following

Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 1 & 2
Devil May Cry 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Batman Arkham Asylum, City, & Origins
Titanfall
Sonic Generations
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Mortal Kombat
Splinter Cell Conviction & Blacklist
BioShock 1, 2, & Infinite
State of Decay
Alan Wake

There are also some PC only games like DayZ that I want to play

Looks you're better off just buying a 360
---
Xbox- Bobby3000
PS3- Bobbyb73
#14Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:53:50 AM
Shub posted...
Oh sure you can. That'll probably be a bit more complicated but when the time comes, I'm sure people will publish guides to do that online.

But I want to know if all the games I listed will look noticeably better on the Alienware Steam Machine, that's a big reason why I'll be spending $500 on it. Is it just the big AAA games or will Dreamcast games released digitally get graphical upgrades too?
---
#15ShubPosted 1/17/2014 8:54:36 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
Shub posted...

You would still have to worry about setting up the second-stage boot loader correctly to use both operating systems (hence: guides when the time comes), and there's no indication that the Alienware Steam Machine will even have space for more than one hard drive.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#16Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:54:51 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
Shub posted...

What would buying another HDD do?
---
#17Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 8:56:31 AM
BobbyB3000 posted...
Shovel_Break posted...
After hearing some people talk about what a Steam Machine can do and I am not a PC gamer, it sounds like it's the right product for me. But is a $500 range one worth it if I have a PS4? My biggest grip with the PS4 and Xbox One is that they don't play PS3 and 360 games, and there are a lot of last gen games that I don't want t let go of. The thing about playing them on a Steam Machine though is that the PC versions will look as good as PS4 games.

Now is an Alienware Steam Machine worth it if I want to play these games? These are the following

Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 1 & 2
Devil May Cry 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Batman Arkham Asylum, City, & Origins
Titanfall
Sonic Generations
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Mortal Kombat
Splinter Cell Conviction & Blacklist
BioShock 1, 2, & Infinite
State of Decay
Alan Wake

There are also some PC only games like DayZ that I want to play

Looks you're better off just buying a 360

I want to play these games with higher specs than what the PS3 and 360 are capable of, I want to effectively take these games into "next gen" with me and have them on par with my PS4
---
#18ShubPosted 1/17/2014 8:58:33 AM
Shovel_Break posted...
Shub posted...

But I want to know if all the games I listed will look noticeably better on the Alienware Steam Machine, that's a big reason why I'll be spending $500 on it. Is it just the big AAA games or will Dreamcast games released digitally get graphical upgrades too?

I think that's been addressed extensively in the other topic you were posting in yesterday, but anyway. For older games such as games from the Dreamcast era, just forget it. They'll look the way they always have. Those games have been out on PC for a while already, they didn't get any graphical upgrades, Steam OS or Steam Machines will not magically change that.

Games that came out for PS3 or Xbox 360 as well as on PC usually look better on PC.
For future games that obviously haven't come out yet, the answer is: maybe. It depends on the specs of the Steam Machine, and it will depend on the game.

I think you're getting into this for the wrong reasons. Caring about looks is fine, but the value of a Steam Machine is in giving you access to the PC's game library, not just PS4/Xbox One games that may or may not come out on PC and that may or may not look better than on PS4/Xbox One.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#19Hicks233Posted 1/17/2014 9:06:41 AM(edited)
Better off building your own pc, avoid this whole steambox crap.

Once you've got your custom build pc pick up a Wii on the cheap and enjoy the catalogue of titles there and for the PS3 I'm guessing you already own and if down the line the PS4 has a library you like the looks of? Well then you've got that to look forward to.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#20Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 9:13:21 AM
Shub posted...
Shovel_Break posted...
Shub posted...

I think that's been addressed extensively in the other topic you were posting in yesterday, but anyway. For older games such as games from the Dreamcast era, just forget it. They'll look the way they always have. Those games have been out on PC for a while already, they didn't get any graphical upgrades, Steam OS or Steam Machines will not magically change that.

Games that came out for PS3 or Xbox 360 as well as on PC usually look better on PC.
For future games that obviously haven't come out yet, the answer is: maybe. It depends on the specs of the Steam Machine, and it will depend on the game.

I think you're getting into this for the wrong reasons. Caring about looks is fine, but the value of a Steam Machine is in giving you access to the PC's game library, not just PS4/Xbox One games that may or may not come out on PC and that may or may not look better than on PS4/Xbox One.

If a future game looks better on PS4, I'll get it for PS4. It's the PC versions of the games I listed that I want to know will look better. As in will they have less jaggies and can I play them in 1080p, I'm not expecting them to get engine overhauls
---