This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gateway 450ROG boot woes

#1MaxCHEATER64Posted 1/17/2014 4:25:30 PM
Yeah. So.
I've had this laptop for damn near a decade (it's a 2002 model but I bought it used). I used it as a sort of mobile workstation until a couple years ago when I just threw it in storage and never bothered.
I've been trying to get it working again recently, and there's some problems.

When I hit the power button, one of three things happens:

1: The power light flashes for a split second and then turns off;
2: The power doesn't turn on, but when I hold it down it goes to 3;
3: (most common) The power light turns on, the ventilator starts making noise, and the orange "disc drive" light comes on. The screen doesn't turn on, and it doesn't boot.

When I first started it up, it actually booted just fine, but five minutes (give or take) later it crashed and now won't even POST.

What could the problem be, PCH? I've tried replacing the memory, removing the disc drive, taking out the battery, starting it without the docking station, etc. etc. etc. nothing works. Google didn't help; a lot of people seemed to have this problem but I could never find any solutions.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#2Lonestar2000Posted 1/17/2014 4:31:58 PM
You really expect people to help you when you post in that annoying-ass font?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 9:14:15 AM
I left it charging the past couple days, and now it won't even get power at all. I hit the power button, orange light flashes for a second, and it shuts off.
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/19/2014 9:24:09 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
You really expect people to help you when you post in that annoying-ass font?

---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#5wildog2006Posted 1/19/2014 9:55:36 AM
If I could read that without my eyes bleeding I might be able to help. Too bad you insist on being difficult.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#6roos1046returnsPosted 1/19/2014 10:30:21 AM
it's broken
throw it away
---
I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow
#7Doomsday FortePosted 1/19/2014 1:24:01 PM
You said you had it in storage. Elaborate a little on that. Was it exposed to moisture or cold temperatures?

Maybe something on the mobo rotted. Maybe something's loose? It can happen. Somehow.

My dad's laptop had some issue where it just died one day and refused to come back on, but that was after regular use. We had to send it in to the manufacturer and it was thankfully still under warranty, but I never found out what the problem was. My bet is something on your mobo broke, but that's a shot in the dark if I ever heard one.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#8WyzeGyePosted 1/19/2014 2:55:50 PM
Take the battery out. unplug the A/C adapter. Hold the power button for 30 seconds, and then plug in the A/C Adapter.

if that doesnt work, try a second time but still holding the power button when you plug it in.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#9MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 3:59:58 PM
Doomsday Forte posted...
You said you had it in storage. Elaborate a little on that. Was it exposed to moisture or cold temperatures?

It was in a plastic storage bin on a concrete floor. While that floor definitely has moisture in it, it was in a box so I doubt it came into contact with any.
Cold...yes, yes it would be very cold there.

WyzeGye posted...
Take the battery out. unplug the A/C adapter. Hold the power button for 30 seconds, and then plug in the A/C Adapter.

if that doesnt work, try a second time but still holding the power button when you plug it in.

Thanks, I'll try this now.
---
#10Doomsday FortePosted 1/19/2014 8:43:38 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
It was in a plastic storage bin on a concrete floor. While that floor definitely has moisture in it, it was in a box so I doubt it came into contact with any.
Cold...yes, yes it would be very cold there.

I'm not a scientist, but water vapor in the air condenses when it's cold. You ever leave a cold drink out on a hot day and it gets all sweaty? Condensation. I've heard it's a good idea to keep any electronics out of the cold for this reason since electronics + water = bad. It may not be what happened here, but it's still a thing to keep in mind.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.