This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are all 5.1 surround systems the same as Dolby Digital 5.1?

#1United_StatesPosted 1/18/2014 9:04:03 AM
This might be somewhat off topic, but I don't know where else to ask it. Is any 5.1 surround sound system considered Dolby Digital 5.1 or is there a difference? I ask because I just bought the sound bar system linked below and I want to know if I select the Dolby Digital 5.1 setting on my TV, Bluray player, etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/5-1-channel-soundbar-system-with-6-wireless-subwoofer/8761077.p?id=1218890758277&skuId=8761077&st=s4251w-b4&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview
---
I'm United_States, and I approve this message.
#2k debonairPosted 1/18/2014 9:08:14 AM
DD is a type of digital encoding for the signal, and if you chose to use it, your sound system needs to be able to decode it.

it doesn't look like that soundbar supports it, so you'd just use a regular (pcm) signal. The sound coming out of the system will be the same either way.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#3United_States(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2014 9:09:48 AM
Thank you very much.
---
I'm United_States, and I approve this message.
#4UberLurkerPosted 1/18/2014 9:19:56 AM
There are several ways to trasmit a multi-channel (5/7.1) signal:

- LPCM
- Dolby Digital
- DTS

Just about all multi-channel compatible sound setups these days support one or more of these standards. LPCM is the straight up uncompressed audio, DD and DTS offer both lossy and lossless flavors of compressed audio. There are technical differences between DD and DTS but in practice they're fairly comparable.
#5doctoglethorpePosted 1/18/2014 9:20:36 AM
CNET says it does support DD. Google is your eternal friend, friend.
#6JonexePosted 1/18/2014 9:21:16 AM
I have this exact sound bar. It does do Dolby Digital. It's not really advertised; but here's there manufacturer's tech specs:

http://store.vizio.com/s4251wb4.html

In addition, I can confirm it does because... well... I use it. Heh.

That said, this is an excellent sound system for the price you pay. Some little tidbits.

1. When you receive the unit, turn off EcoPower. It's really annoying. Essentially it powers down the sound bar when it hasn't received a signal for awhile. What ends up happening is that it takes it 10~15 seconds to turn back on when you start watching tv or play music, etc.

2. If it seems like your surround sound stops working when you switch inputs; turn the system off, then back on. Works every time.

3. Don't expect excellent audio quality out of bluetooth. This goes for basically every sound system; but with this one specifically you'll notice noise in your mids and highs due to bluetooth's compression.
---
"My life is a chip in your pile... ante up!"
#7doctoglethorpePosted 1/18/2014 9:26:25 AM
It should also be mentioned, because these guys be misleading shame on yall) that Optical cables (I assume thats what you'll be using) do not support surround sound PCM. They can only do 2.0 uncompressed. Thats where the compression of DD and DTS come in.
#8JonexePosted 1/18/2014 9:34:47 AM
doctoglethorpe posted...
It should also be mentioned, because these guys be misleading shame on yall) that Optical cables (I assume thats what you'll be using) do not support surround sound PCM. They can only do 2.0 uncompressed. Thats where the compression of DD and DTS come in.

To be fair, TC never mentioned how they were hooking it up. This particular sound system can do USB, Optical, Coax, 3.5mm -> RCA, and RCA -> 3.5mm.
---
#9LordSeiferPosted 1/18/2014 9:39:13 AM
usb?
---
^ this
#10JonexePosted 1/18/2014 9:43:19 AM
LordSeifer posted...
usb?

Yep. I assume the intent is to be able to plug an external directly into it and play from that.
---