This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Isn't Google Fiber redundant?

#11Orestes417Posted 1/19/2014 5:36:23 PM
You're also neglecting the fact that you're not at all limited to downloading from a single source.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#12R i c kPosted 1/19/2014 5:59:46 PM
True, there's no real reason a single person or even an entire family needs a Gb line but there are plenty of people that just buy the biggest number because faster = better.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#13zerodefectPosted 1/19/2014 6:03:01 PM(edited)
Yeah I was just going to say that. I get 120 megabytes per second on most of my torrent downloads. There is plenty you can download and actually use a gigabit connection to capacity. Not to mention if you stream data to many people, or need a good connection to your VPN at the office. Some people also need that capacity for hosting services online.

---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#14killkountPosted 1/19/2014 6:05:12 PM
psssh, after a steam sale you can download all the games you just bought at the same time and still have em done in 10 minutes.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#15Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 1:27:16 PM
killkount posted...
psssh, after a steam sale you can download all the games you just bought at the same time and still have em done in 10 minutes.

My friend has 200 down, his speed caps out at 150 on Steam
#16SlaynPosted 1/21/2014 1:59:56 PM
I go with the "why not" sentiment. Someone needs to take that leap and bring us to a faster internet age.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#17uncleePosted 1/21/2014 2:06:05 PM
Saga3 posted...
Ah, that's a good point. But I doubt it will change anytime soon as it's only available in three cities. I doubt other ISPs will bend their back just for those three specific cities. And by the looks of it, their locations don't seem to be expanding fast.

Actually, there has been a bit of movement from other carriers in direct response to Google Fiber. AT&T, for example, will begin offering 1 Gbps internet for $70/month in Austin this year. They announced this not long after Google said they were coming to Austin.

As Google Fiber expands I think we'll see more of this. The biggest question is what happens when they setup shot in a city that's mostly Comcast or Verizon? Their response will really tell how threatening they think Google Fiber is.
#18Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 2:11:18 PM
Well I could see Verizon budge but not so much Comcast. And even if they did match it, why would anyone go with Comcast over Google? No one would. The only reason to would be coverage and if Google is a threatening presence Comcast would be wise to 1. Improve their horrible service and 2. expand earlier than Google does.
#19crawdadPosted 1/21/2014 2:19:56 PM
Eh, I'm skeptical on it's influence.

I mean it's awesome and I wish it was where I lived. And i think that's the general sentiment and problem. It's not where we are.

Building on cable infrastructure is far larger than what they did with GMail.

There's so many costs in running a a network where you pay for and provide your own infrastructure.

WHat happens if you live in the south and some yokel misses a quail and hits the fiber running from place to place? You could potentially be experiencing a complete loss of service. to thousands of customers in a second. Then you have to get a construction crew who's on call 24 hours a day to go out there and fix it.

Car accidents? could take hours before the owners of the infrastructure can even LOOK at it because national grid is there making sure it's still safe.

The thing is, this kind of operation is far bigger than we give credit, especially for a country the size of America.

And the reason this is problematic, is it's not really in Google best interest, nor in their future plans to actually roll this out to even a small portion of the country.

And the big Cable companies/ISPs know that. So there's little incentive to allow Google Fiber to make an impact. All theyhave to do is sort of compete at the places Google's in, and continue to bring down operations elswhere.

Slower internet/uncompetitive internet, no more net neutrality. The whole ShaBang
---
Expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#20daemon_danPosted 1/21/2014 2:27:50 PM
Google fiber also provides you with free 1 TB of cloud storage on their servers, which can handle that 1000 Mbit/s stream. So 1tb free that's accessible readily? that's pretty big. Let's not neglect that if you don't want the 1000Mbit/s stream? you can pay a one time setup fee of 300 dollars and get internet for free for the rest of your life. Let's also not forget file transfers between two people on the 1000Mbit/s plan. And all for 70 a month. 120 if you want TV, too. THAT is why Google fiber is desired.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride