This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I cheating myself if I play XCOM Enemy Unknown on easy?

#1xLexLuth0rxPosted 1/19/2014 5:50:52 PM
I tried playing it a few months back on the normal difficulty and found I wasn't very good at the game. I pretty much gave up and stopped playing until a couple days ago. I only played the first 4 missions on easy and I'm of the belief that I might actually play more now. But with that said, am I missing out on anything by doing this?

If I really should play on a harder difficulty, I might try one more time. If not, maybe I can play through the game on easy and then do another game upping the difficulty? I'm usually pretty good with turn-based games but this one proved... tough.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#2StormKMDPosted 1/19/2014 5:53:35 PM
If you suck, you suck.

Seriously though, if playing the game on easy is more fun for you, play it on easy.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 5:56:49 PM
Well I definitely suck at the game so...

But yeah, I just wanted to make sure that by playing on easy, I'm not preventing myself from getting anything as far as rewards or unlocks, etc. I imagine I'm not, but I'm not sure.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#4biohazard1775Posted 1/19/2014 6:04:03 PM
If it helps you learn then go ahead.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#5Silent Sniper IVPosted 1/19/2014 6:10:11 PM
biohazard1775 posted...
If it helps you learn then go ahead.

It does not. Easy and normal create awful habits because it cheats in the player's favor. Classic is what the game is balanced around (and cheats in the aliens favor a bit)

That said, if you're enjoying easy, go for it. Just know that if you plan to replay it like most people do, it's going to create really bad player-skills.

Some tips:

-Always try to use full cover. don't leave your units exposed or in half-cover

-Fall back out of sight range when you need to. If you think someones going to take a shot, have them hunker down in full cover.

-Dr. Valen lies. Make liberal use of explosives. Avoid blowing up stuff in spaceships, but use explosives to kill annoying enemies that pose a risk, level up low level members, and destroy cover.

-research lasers and carapace armor first

-Satellites are essential. Push satellites as much as you can. This is where most players screw up, and start having nations leave.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#6SpazH3dPosted 1/19/2014 6:11:51 PM
Can I tempt you with a tech tree? http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121026045429/xcom/images/7/72/Xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png
---
- My vision is augmented
#7RheygarPosted 1/19/2014 6:30:54 PM
I took some big losses early on by not making satellites a priority and going after which mission gave the best rewards over which country was more panicked.
Other than that, I played on hard and took my time in fights. Never left a guy out of cover if possible.
#8InfernalDragon5Posted 1/19/2014 7:32:15 PM
Do that which is most fun.
#9somebody336Posted 1/19/2014 7:37:00 PM
InfernalDragon5 posted...
Do that which is most fun.

---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
#10ShadowThaReaperPosted 1/19/2014 7:52:50 PM
The original is better.