This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it safe to say the Steam Machine is gonna end up as a huge failure for Valve?

#71ChA0TiCoNePosted 1/23/2014 2:44:28 AM
I understand that steam boxes will be fully modular, meaning that you can upgrade them just like you can a PC. To people who build PCs already, it seems like a good idea.

Its gonna be another 2 years at least before I build a new rig, but I might end up just building a custom steam box.

If Valve will just sell me the case and OS, and allow me to select the other parts, then I'd definitely consider a steam box. But one thing I will not do is pay them a premium for a steam box consisting of second rate components that I could improve on for cheaper by building my own rig.
#72godplaysSNESPosted 1/23/2014 7:55:49 AM
Valve itself isn't taking a huge risk. The only hardware Valve is developing is the controller, and Steam OS is based on Debian.
The "risk" will be on the companies making the pre-built Steam Machines.

But primary PC users just can't go with Steam OS, because that means abandoning support for the vast majority of current games. And for console users, it's not as easy to use as a console.

But Steam OS is a long-term plan. And Valve has the resources to support it.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#73ClouddxPosted 1/23/2014 8:00:53 AM
king_madden posted...
Clouddx posted...
@ king_madden

"pc cant be played while laying down because its not comfortable to play all the RTS games i love that way."

So one type of game isn't playable while you're lying down, and you're saying all of PC gaming is uncomfortable while lying down. I don't even play games while lying down, but your posts are irritating and full of misinformation.

LOL, what terrible logic.

No you missed the point.

If I mainly play RTS games more than anything on pc, why would I move it to where I lay down to game at and not keep it on my desk? Yes I could use a controller and lay back and play other pc games, but if I play 98% RTS on pc why move it for the small amount of other games I would play?

Its best to keep it at the desk, that way when I want I can just sit and play and not have to move anything. It's starting to sound like you're missing the point on purpose just because someone doesn't prefer to game the way you do.

I don't know what you mean "game the way I do".

I wasn't aware you needed to move your whole desktop just to play a game lying down. I kinda just pop it up on my TV and play without moving the tower from my desk.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#74Killah PriestPosted 1/23/2014 8:03:15 AM
It may not succeed but it will be a foot in the door.

just look at the first xbox vs the xbox 360.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#75Majoras_pantsPosted 1/23/2014 8:05:45 AM
Devil_wings00 posted...
king_madden posted...
YukitoRambo posted...
king_madden posted...
...and bedroom since most of my gaming is done while laying down across the couch or on the bed.

I can never get how some people think that the PC only works if you put it on a table and you sit on a chair.

Hell, at this point I don't think I should waste my time explaining all the other ways PC gaming can work however you want to. You're biased and you'll find excuses anyway.

please explain to me a comfortable way to lay down and play with a keyboard and mouse.

ill wait......please take your time.

Use a 360 controller...almost every game supports one in 2014 and they work perfectly fine. I game on my TV using my PC just fine using a controller. Buy one of those HTPC remotes to navigate the OS when not in a game (or a travel mouse) and your set. It's not really quantum physics.

Analogue controllers are not supported by even close to every game. Good luck playing rts, tbs, grand strategy, moba or isometric rpgs/arpgs. And good luck staying competitive in anything that requires precision like an fps. Steam controller will help a lot for that but the 360 controller is useless for a lot of games.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer