This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey PCH, what's the most NOOB thing you've done with a PC?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Hey PCH, what's the most NOOB thing you've done with a PC?
2 years ago#1
We all were green at some point. What is the dumbest thing you've done or thought in regards to PCs in general before you knew what you were doing?

Years ago I installed a motherboard into a custom case without the rubber stands. Needless to say I was confused as to why the computer would not turn on. Then I smelled why lol. Good thing it was freshly under warranty!

Let's hear some real noobish mistakes!
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
2 years ago#2
that's exactly the dumbest thing I've done^

those stand-offs are forgettable
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
2 years ago#3
Well, when I was four, I somehow managed to format my Dads computer.

Recently though.. Hm.. Downloaded Origin?
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
2 years ago#4
Bought one. *Ba dum tss!*

But in all honesty, the one thing I can think of is installed an infected anti virus on a friend's machine. Taught me not to always click on the first search result in Google.
i7-3930k @ 4.0GHz | ASUS IV Rampage Extreme | GTX TITAN | 16GB Corsair Dominator | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB WD Black | Corsair 800D
2 years ago#5
Installed a processor drunk, bent the pins and spent half the night with a butter knife straightening the pins out.. worked like a charm (a while ago when pins were on CPUs)
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
2 years ago#6
Put my computer fan in backwards. For the next couple of days I was wondering why it was overheating.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
2 years ago#7
I wired part of the psu the wrong way and the wires caught fire.

I replaced a CPU without using thermal paste because I had mostly worked with slot processors before that.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
2 years ago#8
Yanked the heatsink off the old family Desktop to clean it out and didn't have any thermal paste, so I just stuck it back on and called it good (with the gross dry paste still on).

Still haven't felt like fixing it, but the thing works fine.
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 8x64
2 years ago#9
I was was gonna delete doom on a friends computer way back.

Deltree c:\

are you sure? y
2 years ago#10
Luckily my wife is an ex-techie who put computers together for a living. It's a joy watching her work actually. My fattie fingers would likely snap everything but she has nice tiny hands =p.
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Hey PCH, what's the most NOOB thing you've done with a PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived