This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's funny, you'd think that Digital should always be cheaper than a disk.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's funny, you'd think that Digital should always be cheaper than a disk.
2 years ago#1
And yet it's not so. Particularly with those many cheap point and clicks you can grab for $5 at walmart or something, but even with more mainstream games. Like, the Mount and Blade Collection? $5 at Fred Meyer. That's 1/3 the price it is over at GetGamesGo, and it's on discount there.

Even the Assassin's Creed games are like that. It's $10 for 1 and 2 together, and $10 for Brotherhood. That's 75% off the first games MSRP and 50% off Brotherhood's.

I mean, yeah, I understand that you pay for the convenience of not having to actually keep track of a disk and such, but you'd think that saving the cost of printing and shipping would at least keep the prices even.
---
Film title: Auschwitz
Director: Uwe Boll
2 years ago#2
Physical games take up space and sometimes need to be cleared out to make room for newer or more important items.
2 years ago#3
and printing isn't all that expensive compared to bandwidth. Might even be cheaper in some cases
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
2 years ago#4
That's the thing, though, they weren't on any special discount or clearance. They just had the one price tag sticker they'd always had, at $10. One of those little paper cases that seem to have replaced the jewel case for cheap games nowadays.

I mean, yeah, clearance makes sense, when I was working at JC Penney over the holidays we were clearing out some $60 pants for $5, but these games aren't marked down. Their retail MSRP is just lower than their digital MSRP.
---
Film title: Auschwitz
Director: Uwe Boll
2 years ago#5
It's a clearance price. It's trivial to change the price sticker.

And you found a brick and mortar store that sells PC games?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#6

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
2 years ago#7
Killah Priest posted...

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?

None of those sell PC games where I live. If they do it's the garbage like monopoly, game of life, and some local install versions of MMO's like WoW and Rift.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#8
I think they have Turbo Tax at Best Buy and Walmart if that counts.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
2 years ago#9
Around here they have triple a titles mixed in with those random monops and turbo taxes.

not a very wide selection but all of the major hitters.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
2 years ago#10
The physical side of distribution is dirt cheap. Basically not worth a damn thing to the majority of publishers.

If you assume it's expensive in this day and age then yeah it doesn't make sense, but in reality it's pretty legit.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's funny, you'd think that Digital should always be cheaper than a disk.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived