This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's funny, you'd think that Digital should always be cheaper than a disk.

#1YoungAdultLinkPosted 1/22/2014 10:18:58 AM
And yet it's not so. Particularly with those many cheap point and clicks you can grab for $5 at walmart or something, but even with more mainstream games. Like, the Mount and Blade Collection? $5 at Fred Meyer. That's 1/3 the price it is over at GetGamesGo, and it's on discount there.

Even the Assassin's Creed games are like that. It's $10 for 1 and 2 together, and $10 for Brotherhood. That's 75% off the first games MSRP and 50% off Brotherhood's.

I mean, yeah, I understand that you pay for the convenience of not having to actually keep track of a disk and such, but you'd think that saving the cost of printing and shipping would at least keep the prices even.
---
Film title: Auschwitz
Director: Uwe Boll
#2r0ge00Posted 1/22/2014 10:35:59 AM
Physical games take up space and sometimes need to be cleared out to make room for newer or more important items.
#3Orestes417Posted 1/22/2014 10:46:46 AM
and printing isn't all that expensive compared to bandwidth. Might even be cheaper in some cases
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#4YoungAdultLink(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 10:48:34 AM
That's the thing, though, they weren't on any special discount or clearance. They just had the one price tag sticker they'd always had, at $10. One of those little paper cases that seem to have replaced the jewel case for cheap games nowadays.

I mean, yeah, clearance makes sense, when I was working at JC Penney over the holidays we were clearing out some $60 pants for $5, but these games aren't marked down. Their retail MSRP is just lower than their digital MSRP.
---
Film title: Auschwitz
Director: Uwe Boll
#5SinisterSlayPosted 1/22/2014 10:50:35 AM
It's a clearance price. It's trivial to change the price sticker.

And you found a brick and mortar store that sells PC games?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Killah PriestPosted 1/22/2014 10:52:09 AM

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 1/22/2014 10:53:37 AM
Killah Priest posted...

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?

None of those sell PC games where I live. If they do it's the garbage like monopoly, game of life, and some local install versions of MMO's like WoW and Rift.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8Ch3wyPosted 1/22/2014 10:54:46 AM
I think they have Turbo Tax at Best Buy and Walmart if that counts.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#9Killah PriestPosted 1/22/2014 10:56:33 AM
Around here they have triple a titles mixed in with those random monops and turbo taxes.

not a very wide selection but all of the major hitters.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10SteamsterPosted 1/22/2014 11:26:29 AM
The physical side of distribution is dirt cheap. Basically not worth a damn thing to the majority of publishers.

If you assume it's expensive in this day and age then yeah it doesn't make sense, but in reality it's pretty legit.