This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's funny, you'd think that Digital should always be cheaper than a disk.

#11_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 1/23/2014 6:09:48 AM(edited)
I think that in any market it is not only the cost of the producer, but also the value to the consumer that drives the market price. This is even more true for media like games, movies and music, where the cost to the producer is in the creation, and not at all in that disc and case that you see in the store.

For a lot of people, being able to buy a game digitally is a service they value. It is not so strange to me that digital content is sometimes more expensive than the price of a physical copy.

You can also question how much cheaper the digital version is anyway. You need to download it, and it should be accessible for download for a fairly long time in the future. The download platform you use for it needs constant maintenance. It seems that with a physical copy, they sell you the game and are done (by they I mean the publisher). With a digital copy this is not so much true. The sale implies a certain level of costly commitment from the publisher to the consumer in terms of for example the servers they run to offer games digitally to consumers. I am not saying this cost is higher than that of physical distribution, just that it is not free.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Deathadder 3.5G full gloss | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#12Custers_RevengePosted 1/23/2014 6:09:02 AM
I don't get this logic. You're paying for software, regardless of if, it's on a disc or all digital. If digital was always cheaper then hardly anyone would buy physical which would hurt sales through stores. They need to keep it the same price so they don't piss off retail stores. I wouldn't have a problem if gaming was all digital, like a game box would just have a piece of paper with a redemption code in it or just a scratch off card that only works once it's been activated by a cashier.
#13jing0000Posted 1/23/2014 6:22:17 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Killah Priest posted...
And you found a brick and mortar store that sells PC games?

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?

None of those sell PC games where I live. If they do it's the garbage like monopoly, game of life, and some local install versions of MMO's like WoW and Rift.

They all have PC games where I'm at. sometimes for cheaper then what I can find off of steam/amazon/digital store X.
---
none
#14MasterDonGeroPosted 1/23/2014 6:38:24 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Killah Priest posted...
And you found a brick and mortar store that sells PC games?

you mean like target, walmart, gamestop, or bestbuy?

None of those sell PC games where I live. If they do it's the garbage like monopoly, game of life, and some local install versions of MMO's like WoW and Rift.

The Target by me has Deus Ex, Ghosts, BF4, and more. I got AC 1&2 for $10.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#15antknotPosted 1/23/2014 7:52:31 AM
Office Max has Mount and Blade 1 and Warband for cheap, the first 2 Assasin's Creed, Il 2 Sturmovik, Medal of Honor, and some other good games for $10 or less.
#16AsellusPosted 1/23/2014 9:42:43 AM
Not really, retailers threaten not to stock games if they're being undercut by digital.
#17MortalDangerPosted 1/23/2014 9:51:43 AM
Ch3wy posted...
I think they have Turbo Tax at Best Buy and Walmart if that counts.

I lol'd.
---
God Bless America.
#18FaPaThYPosted 1/23/2014 10:07:24 AM(edited)
Funny? Not really. Simply put, old PC games that don't sell anymore are just a waste of shelf space to brick & mortar stores. It's common sense to bargain bin them so they can make room for new releases and more used console games(What these stores actually profit from). It's like being surprised you can find something cheap at a garage sale.

The selection is never going to compare to all the online retailers on the internet and it's pretty laughable to expect all digital games to be similarly priced to a couple of years old games you found in a bin. Hell, add in gas/bus money and it still might not even be cheaper than buying the same game from a GMG/GOG/Amazon/etc. sale, and they'll never compare to a good HIB, etc. bundle.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#19fatboy44Posted 1/23/2014 10:00:37 AM
Ch3wy posted...
I think they have Turbo Tax at Best Buy and Walmart if that counts.

Argh its that time of year again. I don't think I'll be getting very much back this year : /
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio