This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wish devs would stop the handholding tutorials.

#1daviesmoffatPosted 1/22/2014 1:57:59 PM
I remember trying the demo for Castlevania Lords of Shadow and I became incredibly annoyed how almost every small detail in the first few minutes needed its own UNSKIPPABLE pop-up telling you its function. People will tell you this is necessary, that kids need those, that they wouldn't know how to play the game any other way. What? When I was a kid in the 90s, I didn't have tutorials and I could play games. I'm not saying that in some holier-than-thou, "I was smarter than them" smack talk. I'm saying kids these days, just as they have always been, are a lot more intelligent and perceptive than modern publisher give them credit for.

If you have tight level design that teaches by DOING instead of TELLING, any kid is going to learn the rules of a game by messing around with the controls. I know he probably has a bad reputation here, but Egoraptor had a point in his MMX video: the opening level taught you how to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM
#2SinisterSlayPosted 1/22/2014 1:59:25 PM
I like them, as long as they are skipable.
Better than reading a wall of text and trying to remember everything.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Majoras_pantsPosted 1/22/2014 2:01:25 PM
Every game should have a tutorial. And the tutorial should be optional and selectable in the main menu, not tacked to the beginning of the game.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#4daemon_danPosted 1/22/2014 2:01:49 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
Every game should have a tutorial. And the tutorial should be optional and selectable in the main menu, not tacked to the beginning of the game.

I agree so very much with this.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#5MasterDonGeroPosted 1/22/2014 2:04:43 PM
Majoras_pants posted...

---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#6daviesmoffat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 2:05:40 PM
Wait, so none of you like the idea of teaching players through level design? Has that never occurred to you as a better "one size fits all" solution?
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 1/22/2014 2:05:46 PM
i do think it's funny that publishers(i severely doubt the decision is in the devs' hands) think they'll keep roping in a new audience with each and every release to the point where even the 5th sequel in an established series still needs a handholding tutorial.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#8SinisterSlayPosted 1/22/2014 2:06:13 PM
daviesmoffat posted...
Wait, so none of you like the idea of teaching players through level design? Has that never occurred to you as a better "one size fits all" solution?

How do you teach the player, through level design, which keys to press and in which order?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9GarquillPosted 1/22/2014 2:07:13 PM
very very very relevant
http://www.screwattack.com/video/-Sequelitis-Mega-Man-Classic-vs-Mega-Man-X-3927911
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#10SpazH3dPosted 1/22/2014 2:08:37 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
daviesmoffat posted...

How do you teach the player, through level design, which keys to press and in which order?

Look at the controls menu. Anyone that doesn't get a boner looking through the menus before playing is not worth talking to.
---
- My vision is augmented