This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wish devs would stop the handholding tutorials.

#61Kerr AvonPosted 1/23/2014 7:38:03 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
Every game should have a tutorial. And the tutorial should be optional and selectable in the main menu, not tacked to the beginning of the game.

Totally agree, except for the slight proviso that it's OK to have the tutorial as part of the game, as long as it's easy to skip, for example if it's a first person shooter and you start the game at headquarters, then if an NPC says that the boss wants to see you in his office, and another NPC asks if you want to test their new training section before you see the boss, and (conveniently!) you start in the lobby, with a lift (elevator) that can take you up to your boss's office, and a stairway leading down to the training section, and you can choose whichever you like.

Then again, first person shooters nowadays are so full of idiot-prompts (i.e. "Press E to open door" appears on-screen *every* time you are near a door, "Press E to swap x for y" every time you look at another gun, etc) that you don't need to know how to play the game, as it tells you every step of the way.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#62Killah PriestPosted 1/23/2014 7:40:20 AM
They need a middle ground.

There are games that hold your hand too much and its obnoxious with the tutorials and hints...

then you have games like la mulana that just throw you under the bus with confusing nonsense... that game could have used a bit of hand holding for sure.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#63Rexdragon125Posted 1/23/2014 7:48:01 AM
Kerr Avon posted...
Then again, first person shooters nowadays are so full of idiot-prompts (i.e. "Press E to open door" appears on-screen *every* time you are near a door, "Press E to swap x for y" every time you look at another gun, etc) that you don't need to know how to play the game, as it tells you every step of the way.

Have you ever watched Game Grumps? They'll spend entire episodes going in circles in a game because they don't understand the basic mechanics, and this often includes ignoring the idiot prompts! Then they'll run their mouths mindlessly blaming the game, which makes them look even dumber. Unfortunately the idiot prompts are needed by the lowest common denominator.
#64Killah PriestPosted 1/23/2014 7:57:03 AM
Look guys, you're playing a video game not solving some college exam.

YOU DON'T GET EXTRA POINTS FOR BEING SMART.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#65SinisterSlayPosted 1/23/2014 7:57:54 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Kerr Avon posted...

Have you ever watched Game Grumps? They'll spend entire episodes going in circles in a game because they don't understand the basic mechanics, and this often includes ignoring the idiot prompts! Then they'll run their mouths mindlessly blaming the game, which makes them look even dumber. Unfortunately the idiot prompts are needed by the lowest common denominator.

Whats wrong with the idiot prompts anyways? I like those.
When you come back to the game after several months away, its nice to get the reminders.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#66Moose_Of_WoePosted 1/23/2014 3:44:27 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Moose_Of_Woe posted...
We used to have these things called instruction manuals.

Sadly, they cost money so few companies make them anymore. They made for excellent reading material while on the throne. At best we now get a four page pamphlet telling you not to have a seizure.

I think the biggest manual I had was for Star Trek: Empires At War or Master of Orion II. Those things were borderline tomes.

Xcom terror from the deep came with entire stories in the manuals.

Those first two X-Com games were outstanding. The first I had on PS1 which was a blast aside from horrendously long load times.

TFTD I didn't play until many years later on DosBox, so sadly I didn't have the manual for either game on PC.
#67pwnater777Posted 1/23/2014 3:48:40 PM
I only appreciate it when I have no knowledge of the controls. For example: I just started Deus Ex on PC after the only title in the series I've played before is Human Revolution on X360, so it definitely helps.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#68SienrurouniPosted 1/24/2014 8:52:12 AM
There's nothing wrong with a tutorial provided that they don't go on for ages. If it's just 10-30 minutes depending on the complexity of the game, and generally even introduces the story, there's no issue whatsoever, and complaining because old games didn't have them just shows how unaware you are about how different those games were, and how hard to get into the more complex ones were.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane