This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming Laptop with $2000 budget. Help!

#21ATARIJAWAPosted 1/23/2014 1:00:46 PM
YOeastonYO posted...
5squad posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
lolgaminglaptop

When you've been on this forum for longer than 4 years... then you have a right to comment on my threads without using your space bar.
"Account Created Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:

Public forum is public.

That said, getting a monstrous gaming laptop is absurd. You do not get what you pay for. Period. You can easily go out and get a laptop for about $900 that will play games perfectly fine with some adjustments to the settings. That extra grand left over can go to something much more worthwhile instead of an incinerator.

And don't get me wrong. There are good gaming laptops and I completely understand why people would want one. But to crank out that much money on a laptop...you will regret it, trust me. Being able to afford it, having a good job, been saving for etc. is all good. But immediately after that purchase you will second guess it.

Why? He travels for work and can write it off his taxes. That's what I do. Always buy the best one you can and write it off.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#22JKatarnPosted 1/23/2014 1:35:50 PM
Few questions:

1.) Do you absolutely need a portable gaming laptop? If all you need it for is taking notes/meetings/spreedsheets or other basic office tasks, it would make far more sense to buy any $500 laptop and use the remaining $1500 to build/buy (preferably build as your money will go farther) a considerably more powerful gaming PC for the money

2.) If portability is a concern, are you aware that most gaming laptops tend to be fairly hefty at 8.5-10 lbs (and up and up, depending on GPU, screen size etc.)?

This has been repeated often around this boards, but there's a reason for it. Unless you're doing CAD/3D/Encoding work and are often going to client's businesses/homes, it's far more cost-effective/makes far more sense to go for a desktop. There's also the fact that gaming laptops tend to heat up, and all this heat in small space means they tend to go kaput in a few years. Also, your upgrade options will of course be very limited.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#23New LinkPosted 1/23/2014 2:05:40 PM
https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx7
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#245squad(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 10:33:24 AM
I know I know... a pc will always give me more bang for the buck but I don't see it being the most viable option considering why I need to be mobile. however.... if I'm reading this thread right... moat of you are saying I can get a good "gaming" laptop for much less than the $2000 im budgeting for? I know the heating issue is a concern which is why im mostly considering AW or Asus as im told they have the best cooling while not sounding like a jet engine.

but would it behoove me to spend the extra $$ to get the 780m graphics card and say 16gb. or just get the 700m with 8gb.... its about a $600 difference from what I can tell.

thank you all for the help btw... especially those not trolling my thread....PHARAOH!!! (created a second account as I blocked his first one!)
---
"One bullet more to the head will go along way to ensuring your survival"
#25r0ge00Posted 1/24/2014 10:40:06 AM
Well, it mostly depends on what you will be playing and what kind of settings you want to play at. When I look at my laptop, it's a a very basic substitute for my desktop and I don't mind playing on low-medium settings. For someone who won't be having a PC, I can understand going a bit higher on the spectrum to fulfill your gaming needs. Keep in mind even a 780M isn't going to play the most demanding games at 60FPS and Ultra settings.
#265squad(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 10:37:37 AM
r0ge00 posted...
Well, it mostly depends on what you will be playing and what kind of settings you want to play at. When I look at my laptop, it's a a very basic substitute for my desktop and I don't mind playing on low-medium settings. For someone who won't be having a PC, I can understand going a bit higher on the spectrum to fulfill your gaming needs. Keep in mind even a 780M isn't going to play the most demanding games at 60FPS and Ultra settings.

I hear ya there... But with it being a laptop, I'm understanding that I shouldnt expect to run 60fps on ultra on especially some of the newer games, but this build(purchase) isnt necessarily mean't to replace my pc but moreover substitute it while I'm away from home and needing to spend that QT with the wife so I dont loose certain "priviledges" haha.

Just trying to decide if I need to spend the extra $$$ on a AW, or if am Asus or MSI with a 780m would get me what I'm looking for.
---
"One bullet more to the head will go along way to ensuring your survival"