This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't get my USB mouse to work on laptop even with updated drivers

#1RichardAdelmanPosted 1/22/2014 4:00:55 PM
Wanting to use an external mouse but am having problems. When I connect the mouse, I get the noise acknowledging a connected device. Yet the mouse will not work whatsoever. Also, the mouse disconnects and immediately reconnects every few minutes.

I've tried it with two different mice, one of which I just bought, so I don't think it's a problem with the device itself. The same USB port works fine with my Xbox 360 controller, camera, and Mp3 player, so I don't think it's the port either.

Under "Devices and Printers", it shows "HID Compliant Mouse" with no errors. "Device Manager" also shows "HID Compliant Mouse" and claims the drivers are up-to-date if I try to update. I've tried manually loading the "HID Compliant Device" driver as opposed to "mouse" and it doesn't do anything. There is no option for me to "disable" the touchpad when right-clicking it under "Device Manager", only the mouse.

I'm using Windows 8 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Edger E430. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#2RichardAdelman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 7:01:19 PM
Anyone?
#3LordSeiferPosted 1/22/2014 7:02:46 PM
youve tried a different port?
---
^ this
#4PoltregeistPosted 1/22/2014 7:14:06 PM
Did you try the offical drivers? Or just the one windows found for you?
#5RichardAdelman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 10:38:43 PM
LordSeifer posted...
youve tried a different port?

Yeah. My laptop has three USB 3.0 ports and one 2.0 but it does the same exact thing on all of them. Mouse shows as connected, says drivers are updated, but doesn't work and disconnects/reconnects over and over.

Poltregeist posted...
Did you try the offical drivers? Or just the one windows found for you?

I can't find official drivers for this particular mouse. It's just a cheap Kensington that I bought off Amazon for $9 and didn't come with any software.

It's description says "USB plug and play on both PCs and Macs; compatible with Windows 8" and all of the reviews say they just plugged it in and it worked.

The thing is, it did the exact same thing with an HP mouse that I borrowed from a perfectly fine desktop.