This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Banner saga or blackguard?

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 1/23/2014 5:02:40 AM
Aarklash was on sale on GOG and I got it for $8. I was surprised that its combat is satisfying so I wanted to try and get some of these new RPGs. I am tossing between Blackguard ($40 something off GOG and I think they throw in a copy of Chains of Satinav) and Banner Saga ($24 I think on Steam). So which would I get and why? I kind of crave for a proper sort of strategic/tactical RPG since I wanted to play something other than random skirmish games from my strategy games.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#2TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 5:56:05 AM
Edit: Satinav is free if you participate in something from Reddit. I want to know what people who have both games think about it.
---
#3pothocketPosted 1/23/2014 6:23:02 AM
I'm very disappointed in the gameplay mechanics of Banner saga. Mainly that units do not threaten adjacent spaces. This means units can move around and away from hostile units with no penalty. Really stupid decision for a turn based game meant to detail how a fight plays out.

The other thing that really bugs me is that unit speed is an abstract concept directly related to how outnumbered the unit is. The turn order mechanics are idiotic and what ends up happening is the last few enemies become very very fast. Which ends up creating this stupid meta-game strategy of leaving weak enemies alive because they essentially waste turns (and yes, killing off your weakest units makes your side stronger because your best units get more turns)
#4TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 8:08:26 AM
pothocket posted...
I'm very disappointed in the gameplay mechanics of Banner saga. Mainly that units do not threaten adjacent spaces. This means units can move around and away from hostile units with no penalty. Really stupid decision for a turn based game meant to detail how a fight plays out.

The other thing that really bugs me is that unit speed is an abstract concept directly related to how outnumbered the unit is. The turn order mechanics are idiotic and what ends up happening is the last few enemies become very very fast. Which ends up creating this stupid meta-game strategy of leaving weak enemies alive because they essentially waste turns (and yes, killing off your weakest units makes your side stronger because your best units get more turns)

OK, I think I will get neither then. Tried Blackguards demo and it seems interesting. Too bad its focused more on story telling than lets say freedom of exploration. I might get it but its not high priority now. From what you have said, I reckon I will wait for a sale for Banner saga as well then. Cheers mate!
---