This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

(LOTR) "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor" Pre-Alpha Walkthrough (8:30min video)

#21Revival125Posted 1/23/2014 6:32:41 PM
Personally I'm more disappointed the game has turned out to be an action orientated game rather than the open world RPG hinted at originally.
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me
#22DerPancakePosted 1/23/2014 6:37:19 PM(edited)
eww Assassins Creed Combat, seem interesting since I just finished watching LotR a few days ago, but the combat...
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#23DragonRaizenPosted 1/23/2014 6:50:10 PM
pothocket posted...
DragonRaizen posted...

That being said, why is it that people praise the Arkham series combat and ditch on AC?

Because AC is broken. It's all about getting that first kill in and that starts the one-hit-kill spree chain. It's just button mashing and not engaging. It's so broken that it doesn't even really matter which weapon you have (making that whole section of the game about upgrading/crafting/buying/finding weapons sorta pointless). Just pick what looks cool lol.

Batman, on the other hand, encourages you to play like the goddamn Batman. The better you do the more experience you get and the cooler the fight looks. It's a win/win situation, especially considering how satisfying (gameplay-wise) it is to get those high score chains rolling.

I don't know how many people really "got" what it took to be awesome Arkham combat though. Even though just about everyone on my friends list got both games, only a handful tried the combat challenges, and of those only one was able to beat me on scores. No one else even came close to us.

Fair, but frankly, compared to games with actual in depth combat-and I don't mean this as a criticism -(yes, I come from stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and the like), Arkham City is little more than a simple Button masher where Batman will do all the cool stuff by pressing a button. Yes, it throws more distinctive enemies that require you to apply something different(a stun or vault, most of the times), but the point still stands: you're basically hammering your only attack button until you have to press another button for your character to completely negate the attack.
What I mean is, both games are marked by a combat that relies solely on two buttons and where the character does most of the work for the player.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#24BakuraGornPosted 1/23/2014 7:02:01 PM
While the gameplay looks nice, i'm afraid of how bad they're destroying LOTR lore. You don't need to be an expert in the books(or not even read the Silmarilion) to know that Wraiths don't work like that, or Sauron, or pretty much everything they came up with to justify Talion's powers.

I feel that, similarly to DmC, if everything related to the lore it's based in was taken away and replaced with something original it would be a much better game. The gaming industry seems to be following Hollywood's steps: instead of introducing new IPs, it's the age of remakes, reboots and sequels of long forgotten franchises.
#25Revival125Posted 1/23/2014 7:06:22 PM
BakuraGorn posted...
While the gameplay looks nice, i'm afraid of how bad they're destroying LOTR lore. You don't need to be an expert in the books(or not even read the Silmarilion) to know that Wraiths don't work like that, or Sauron, or pretty much everything they came up with to justify Talion's powers.

I feel that, similarly to DmC, if everything related to the lore it's based in was taken away and replaced with something original it would be a much better game. The gaming industry seems to be following Hollywood's steps: instead of introducing new IPs, it's the age of remakes, reboots and sequels of long forgotten franchises.

Hear hear.

Can I also add that this is a trend with LOTR games specifically recently. War in the north/ Rise of the Witch king. Why why why are they continually telling us niche "hipster stories"? I adore Tolkien and LOTR. I want to see a game do justice to his best creation which is the fellowship "story arc".
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me
#26BakuraGornPosted 1/23/2014 8:01:18 PM
Revival125 posted...
BakuraGorn posted...

Hear hear.

Can I also add that this is a trend with LOTR games specifically recently. War in the north/ Rise of the Witch king. Why why why are they continually telling us niche "hipster stories"? I adore Tolkien and LOTR. I want to see a game do justice to his best creation which is the fellowship "story arc".

While i enjoy the idea of expanding an universe with additional stories added by other authors, these must be well-thought to not conflict with any other already stabilished lore. We're stuck with either fan-fic like stories that make no sense like these or nothing at all. Christopher Tolkien surely won't give the licenses to use stories from his father's other works since he hated the movies.

A real shame. A game about The Children of Húrin or even something set in the silmarilion focusing on some of the elves like Fingolfin would be great.
#27EnergistPosted 1/23/2014 8:24:13 PM
The wraith thing bothers me. It seems like they could've still added some extra-sensory powers if they made the lead an elf instead. Granted, they couldn't have taken as many liberties with an elf (ie, influencing an orc like Talion does in the video), but I would've rather they worked around those "shortcomings" and developed the game differently than making Talion a "wraith-lite" with, consequently, a lot of powers that aren't even very wraith-like.

Nevertheless, it looks like it could be fun, and the opportunity to beat on cave trolls, goblins, and orcs in the world of Middle-earth remains a very tempting prospect. I'm definitely still keeping my eye on the game, but I'm actually a bit less excited for it than I was before having watched the video.
---
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Apparent right-wing extremist Thomas Jefferson
#28Arsene-LupinPosted 1/23/2014 10:13:14 PM
I'd have rather seen a different front of the War of the Ring.

Not another "War in the North," thing, but you know--an actual different front. Like the Southrons, or Easterlings. Surely all the rest of the world wasn't 100% in Sauron's pocket. Especially given the fact that two other Wizards were operating in those lands.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."