This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just played a couple hours of dark souls... Wow (very light spoilers)

#1locky723Posted 1/23/2014 5:07:56 PM
This game is HARD. Like thank god for rolling and fireballs (i'm a pyromancer) Trying to cut the dragons tail off, in the castley area after the Taurus demon. Though i have one problem, besides the difficulty: The lack of explaination. Please at least hear me out before you go saying "you suck, go play COD". I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but my problem is that it dosn't explain things like Rekindling bonfires. I googled it and it gives you extra flasks at that bonfire. Whaaaa. And theres a bloodstain that says theres a illusory wall. I try to get through, nope. Ask my friend, and apparently you have to roll to get through it. Again, my fault. But i'm just saying this is my personal problem. When i understand it more, it won't be as bad. Again, i'm not saying i hate the game because of it or think more should be explained... I'm just saying MY personal thoughts. Agree? Disagree? Discuss.
#2Silent Sniper IVPosted 1/23/2014 5:11:25 PM
A lot of the mechanics are kind of opaque, and that's responsible for a lot of the difficulty. If you pump endurance and get a high stability shield, you can pretty much block your way through 9/10ths of the game.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#3SlaynPosted 1/23/2014 5:13:30 PM
I like both the difficulty and the fact that there aren't explanations. I find it a refreshing change from having endless tutorials pointing out the obvious. Finding secrets is actually fun and rewarding. Beware of the messages on the floor though, sometimes they can be fake.

Just take the game slow for the most part, you can move slowly and continue on carefully.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#4dermoratrakenPosted 1/23/2014 5:14:32 PM
The game is a lot of fun, but it is overly vague and punishing plus the story is nonexistant. The game could have been so much better, and it's unfortunate that it gets so much praise with so little criticism. At the very least, it demonstrates that players are interested in difficult games when so many devs are creating hand-holding simulators.
#5LoshadtPosted 1/23/2014 5:14:58 PM
That post was an absolute mess, even bricks are divided by mortar.

In any case, the game explains everything you need to know, and leaves the less important stuff up to you to figure out. The biggest issue people have with the supposed lack of explanation is their unwillingness to experiment with s*** in their downtime.

When I saw "illusory wall" I tried to walk through it, when that didn't work I smacked it. Same with kindling, "gee I wonder what this does... OH that's neat". "Try jumping"? Why the f*** not I'm next to a bonfire anyways.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#6locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 5:15:10 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
A lot of the mechanics are kind of opaque, and that's responsible for a lot of the difficulty. If you pump endurance and get a high stability shield, you can pretty much block your way through 9/10ths of the game.

I mean, with the wall thing, thats for the player to figure out. But for stuff like using the gold resin stuff, it wasn't very spcefic. I thought it was a spell. NOPE. It goes on your weapon. I just wish it was like "gold resin goes on your weapon to create lightning damage". Or "rekindling gives you more estus flasks at bonfires". Thats it. But it's not a huge negative, and something i'll just figure out on my own.

Yeah, i got a bigger shield and it actually BLOCKS ALL THE ATTACK, unlike my crappy wooden shield. Though the problem is when enemies swarm on me.

Also, holy crap poison is powerfull stuff. Like Wow.
#7DaedalusExPosted 1/23/2014 5:15:59 PM
dermoratraken posted...
...the story is nonexistant.

Completely false.
#8DaedalusExPosted 1/23/2014 5:21:39 PM(edited)
locky723 posted...
I mean, with the wall thing, thats for the player to figure out. But for stuff like using the gold resin stuff, it wasn't very spcefic. I thought it was a spell. NOPE. It goes on your weapon. I just wish it was like "gold resin goes on your weapon to create lightning damage".

It says right in the item description:

Rare pine resin which emits golden sparks. Applies lightning to right-hand weapon.
Affected weapon inflicts rare lightning damage, making it effective against targets which are resilient to both magic and fire. Very effective against dragon family foes.

NPCs also explain most game mechanics (including kindling) but if you aren't reading item descriptions you probably aren't talking to NPCs. They're a resource, use them.
#9locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 5:20:38 PM
Loshadt posted...
That post was an absolute mess, even bricks are divided by mortar.

In any case, the game explains everything you need to know, and leaves the less important stuff up to you to figure out. The biggest issue people have with the supposed lack of explanation is their unwillingness to experiment with s*** in their downtime.

When I saw "illusory wall" I tried to walk through it, when that didn't work I smacked it. Same with kindling, "gee I wonder what this does... OH that's neat". "Try jumping"? Why the f*** not I'm next to a bonfire anyways.

Sorry, i just like writing walls of texts :/

True, but like i said, i just want a basic little outline. A sentence of what this or that does. Not "ok so rekindling does this. It's amazing. *shows example* Now you try *you try*" If you get what i mean.

Never figured out the jumping thing. Iv'e seen bloodstains saying jump, but i dont know where <.<
#10SlaynPosted 1/23/2014 5:20:39 PM
locky723 posted...
Silent Sniper IV posted...

I mean, with the wall thing, thats for the player to figure out. But for stuff like using the gold resin stuff, it wasn't very spcefic. I thought it was a spell. NOPE. It goes on your weapon. I just wish it was like "gold resin goes on your weapon to create lightning damage". Or "rekindling gives you more estus flasks at bonfires". Thats it. But it's not a huge negative, and something i'll just figure out on my own.

Yeah, i got a bigger shield and it actually BLOCKS ALL THE ATTACK, unlike my crappy wooden shield. Though the problem is when enemies swarm on me.

Also, holy crap poison is powerfull stuff. Like Wow.

You make good points, honestly. If they explained some of the mechanics that would be fine.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505