This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I assume Intel CPUs are preferred over AMD?

#1APanasonicYouthPosted 1/23/2014 10:08:35 PM
That's what I've gathered from perusing the board the past couple of weeks. That, and I guess AMD is going under soon or something? Maybe just trolls. But anyway, topic.

Also, what's a good site I can reference for translating the gobbledygook that accompanies each and every component in existence? I can never tell if an nVidia 9000XX SuperMax 256MGHz Turbo 60k is a good video card or a piece of junk. I don't speak the language, if you catch my drift. So, I need to learn what it all means, and how each trait is significant to the component and its performance.

Thanks fellas. You've all been very helpful so far in my self-education of sorts.
---
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls (X360)
#2it_r_over9000Posted 1/23/2014 10:14:22 PM(edited)
logicalincrements.com is a good place to start. Also, Google is immensely helpful in finding out about those kinds of things. I learned a lot simply Googling things I didn't know when I got this computer I'm using.

Also, I see you are a Cardinals fan. Good stuff.
---
i7 4770k| Asus Z87 Plus| EVGA GTX 760 2GB| Corsair VengeanceLP 8GB (2x4)1866| EVGA SuperNOVA Nex 650G 650w| Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White
PSN- ponmbr [R3D]
#3CloudZ1116Posted 1/23/2014 10:15:12 PM(edited)
Are you building a gaming PC for the first time? If so, welcome to the master race, friend. You'll enjoy it here.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#4-5xad0w-Posted 1/23/2014 10:17:53 PM
I use intel myself but have no problem recommending AMD if it's better for a persons budget.

And an easy way to see if one component is better than another at a glance (and take these numbers with a grain of salt) is using passmark's benchmark list:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Can select the component type up top.

It will give you a general idea of how two components compare.

From there you might want to read actual reviews on any product you are interested in. Synthetic benchmarks can be gamed so to speak. (it's a lot easier to optimize video card drivers to run well with benchmark programs than it is to actually make them perform great across the board on games)
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#5APanasonicYouth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 10:20:23 PM
CloudZ1116 posted...
Are you building a gaming PC for the first time? If so, welcome to the master race, friend. You'll enjoy it here.

Definitely considering joining up. I'm also just tired of being so incompetent with tech. But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't like Steam, being able to upgrade without purchasing a brand new console, having more than .5TB of storage, etc.
---
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls (X360)
#6reincarnator07Posted 1/24/2014 4:12:15 AM
It's not exactly that AMD is prefered, it's just that intel has better processors performing processors once you get up to an i5. AMD does have betters offers on a budget though.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7Fade2black001Posted 1/24/2014 5:42:36 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
It's not exactly that AMD is prefered, it's just that intel has better processors performing processors once you get up to an i5. AMD does have betters offers on a budget though.

AMD is better for apps/programs that uses multiple threads. Since its for gaming Intel is generally the way to go.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#8YOeastonYOPosted 1/24/2014 6:13:41 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

AMD is better for apps/programs that uses multiple threads. Since its for gaming Intel is generally the way to go.

That's not to say AMD is bad for games. Many of their processor just do not reach the level of Intels. Except maybe for the 8350. Heck even the phenom 980be still plays games without any issue. Fact of the matter is AMD is only 10% the size of Intel. There will really never a point for where they will be better.
---
FX-9590 | Antec Kuhler h2o 1220 | ASUS 7970 | ROG Crosshair V | Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD | ROG Raidr | Antec TPQ-1200 | Antec DF-85 | AMD Radeon RG2133 |
#9johnny_payPosted 1/24/2014 6:15:31 AM
CloudZ1116 posted...

NO! you dont just build a pc and join the master race. if you just had to build a pc to join the master race, we wouldnt be masters.
#10godplaysSNESPosted 1/24/2014 6:19:46 AM
Most games still only use four cores/threads at the most, and Intel has much better single threaded performance than AMD.

AMD's six and eight core CPUs can be competetive in applications/games that do use more than four cores, but such games are currently in the minority.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!