This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say the max a human eye can see is 60HZ?

#41Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 10:29:19 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
DerPancake posted...
WyzeGye posted...
I hope it's obvious i'm deliberately trolling... it seems I was being taken seriously earlier.

You weren't trolling, you are actually telling the truth...

"The human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can only process 25 to 30 frames per second"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

You realize anyone clicking your link can easily see where you screwed with the quote to make it say something stupid, right?

Now it says only 10 to 12.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#42JKatarnPosted 1/24/2014 10:30:52 AM
The same reason they say "the human eye can't see more than 30 FPS", massive ignorance.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#43KillerTrufflePosted 1/24/2014 10:34:10 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Now it says only 10 to 12.

I don't see the word "only" in there... Maybe you should go vandalize it first and then let us know really quick so we can check? :)

What I do see is it says that the visual system can perceive 10-12 images per second as *individual images*, meaning not smooth motion.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#44KillerTrufflePosted 1/24/2014 10:35:02 AM
JKatarn posted...
The same reason they say "the human eye can't see more than 30 FPS", massive ignorance.

Or trolling... I almost never meet anyone any more who actually *believes* the 30 fps crap. Just trolls who like to argue it for fun. heh
---
#45ElfergosPosted 1/24/2014 1:53:57 PM
I have no idea but games running at 60 as opposed to 30 do look smoother to me, I couldn't tell you if I would notice between 50 and 60 or even 40 and 60 but it would be an interesting study. Films will tend to run at 24 frames and I can't say that bothers me, recently the hobbit was pioneerng the move to faster frames which was partly aimed at reducing the contrast problem of 3D, but the movie industry seems far more bothered by resolution as opposed to frame rate.

There were all those stories about subliminal messaging, apparently movie theatres threading one frame of suggestive material to viewers to go and pick up popcorn etc which could not be perceived consciously but was recognised by the brain, that report turns out to be fabricated however.
#46electroflamePosted 1/24/2014 1:59:15 PM
The equivalent amount of FPS you can perceive is relative to how fast you're moving. Just ask Einstein.

This is why everyone should play on a 6000hz monitor while moving at the speed of light.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#47arleasPosted 1/24/2014 2:04:56 PM
This topic AGAIN?

I guess it's a slow week.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#48KillerTrufflePosted 1/24/2014 2:34:10 PM
Elfergos posted...
I have no idea but games running at 60 as opposed to 30 do look smoother to me, I couldn't tell you if I would notice between 50 and 60 or even 40 and 60 but it would be an interesting study. Films will tend to run at 24 frames and I can't say that bothers me, recently the hobbit was pioneerng the move to faster frames which was partly aimed at reducing the contrast problem of 3D, but the movie industry seems far more bothered by resolution as opposed to frame rate.

There were all those stories about subliminal messaging, apparently movie theatres threading one frame of suggestive material to viewers to go and pick up popcorn etc which could not be perceived consciously but was recognised by the brain, that report turns out to be fabricated however.

Actually, I hated the framerate Desolation of Smaug was shown at. It looked unnatural, and tripped into the uncanny valley consistently. I found it to be a huge distraction and was disappointed with it.
---
#49DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/24/2014 2:51:33 PM
WyzeGye posted...
the human eye can only see 30 fps, the rest is all done in the brain, filling the blanks and whatnot.

FACT

Wrong.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#50SinisterSlayPosted 1/24/2014 2:53:32 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Elfergos posted...

Actually, I hated the framerate Desolation of Smaug was shown at. It looked unnatural, and tripped into the uncanny valley consistently. I found it to be a huge distraction and was disappointed with it.

Watch it in 3D, its way better that way.

All 3D makes my eyes hurt and eventually makes me feel sick, except for those hobbit movies. On those it feels perfectly natural.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence