This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having an odd problem with windows, interested in helping to figure it out?

#1Shade_bobPosted 1/24/2014 3:36:48 AM
So I have been having this weird issue with my computer lately. I have windows 7 installed on a ssd that has been working fine for a year and a half now. But since about last week the computer will only work for about thirty to forty five minutes before freezing and then blue screen of death. Then, when I try to restart right after a blue screen I can't get past the loading os section of the boot process. But if I wait a few hours I can get another thirty or forty minute session.

My first thought was just to reformat the drive, but after a brief Google search I found another situation that suggests that maybe one of my sticks of memory is bad. I have four sticks of eight gig ram due to a miss purchase when I built the computer so I have ram to spare.

What does gamefaq's think I should do?
---
Pokemon X FC:
5112-4708-5286 (Frogadier, Quagsire, and Panpour friend safari)
#2shuppet_is_dumbPosted 1/24/2014 3:40:16 AM
If you leave it idling instead of using it does it still turn off? Any patterns for when the problem happens?
---
3DS FC: 5370 0434 1134
#3Shade_bob(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 3:47:07 AM
Yes if I leave it idle it still crashes just like if I am using it. The first time, okay more like the third time, the crash happened I ran a virus scan and watched it while reading a book and it froze and crashed.

The event happens sorta like losing an already bad Internet connection. Usually I am listening to music while browsing the Web or what have you. When I see that it is taking a few seconds to switch tracks or the music still plays when the media player is no longer responding I know I am done for a bit because then every other program will no longer respond and I can't get anything with ctrl alt del (as in the desktop is frozen and no input is being read so I can't get the program manager to come up)
---
Pokemon X FC:
#4Lonestar2000Posted 1/24/2014 3:55:13 AM
See if Crystal Disk Info detects any problems. Try the SSD in a different port and with a different power cable and data cable. Run Memtest. Try each RAM stick 1 at a time in each port.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5Fission_MaiIedPosted 1/24/2014 4:00:26 AM
Really sounds like bad memory. But weird since you mentioned this was only recently.

Did you do a fresh install when installing the SSD? If anything have you tried a fresh install to see if the problem persists?

But to test out your memory go get and download memtest (Windows version) or burn a memtest86+ (Boot disc/drive) and run that.

If it fails with all four plugged in at any point you then have to have the fun task of figuring out if you have a bad slot or faulty cards and test each one at a time.
---
GT: Fission MaiIed (L is i); PSN: FissionXMailed (L is L); BNet: FissionMailD#1973; Steam ID: gfreak001
No "i" in team, but there is in fail.
#6Shade_bob(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 4:27:53 AM
Okay, I will run memtest during my next session with my computer and let you all know if that worked. I haven't been too concerned so far as during the week it was probably a good thing to limit my computer time, but now I have a weekend with nothing to do and I need my aimless browsing fix man.

In a slightly related manner, I had one incident that was much different from the normal crash. I had bunch of programs open because why not it's the future and all that. Then my music stops playing and I'm all like, "man, there goes my computer time for tonight." But instead of everything freezing I continue to be able to look at pictures of cats on the Internet. So quite some time later, maybe forty or fifty cats later to be precise, I decide to check on the media player to find out why space jam is no longer on loop. When I click into the media player I get an error message along the lines of, "the media library is no longer something something found." The only option is to click ok, so I do. That just closes the window so I click on the shortcut icon only to get the same error message. Lo and behold this turned out to be a pattern as every time I went into another program such as Skype or steam I would be told that a directory or something important could not be found/was no longer anywhere to be found and the program would close.

So there I am, with my Firefox window full screen with about twenty tabs of stupid dogs and/or cats being cute and stupid on my screen making a last stand like we're the freaking band on the Titanic as it's going down. I remember seeing one cat picture of a recreation of the classic "hang in there"cat that I really started to identify with followed shortly by a man reenacting the mufasa/scar scene from the lion King. Then the dreaded message appeared once more,"you should really fix your crap instead of looking at pictures of cats. Also something something missing and/or gone forever." I know weird error message right? Then all I was left with was my desktop with all of the icons gone except for the recycle bin. Not even my backup picture of cat that I had saved to the desktop was there. So I just went to start and tried to do a restart. But it got caught at that loading os part of the boot process, so I went to sleep instead.

If you made it this far I Thank you for your patience and help with my issue. I hope to keep you all posted as the story unfolds.
---
Pokemon X FC:
#7Lonestar2000Posted 1/24/2014 4:31:52 AM
Also see if there is a firmware update for your SSD.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#8Shade_bob(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 4:35:59 AM
Huh, didn't even think ssd's could have firm wares to update. Thank you, I will look into that as well.
---
Pokemon X FC:
#9Shade_bob(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 10:32:01 PM
Finally got bothered enough to start trying everything suggested. I ran mem test and it found nothing wrong. And when I had the windows cd in I would no longer get stuck at the loading operating system screen. I decided this was enough evidence to just re install windows. So I wiped the ssd and got a fresh install of windows. But wouldn't you know it, 45 minutes later here I am looking at the loading operating system screen after a freeze and crash.

What should my next move be?
---
Pokemon X FC:
#10-CJF-Posted 1/26/2014 10:57:32 PM
What does the BSOD say? It sometimes gives helpful information you can search on Google to figure out what the problem is. In my experience, BSODs are usually hardware or driver related, but since you reinstalled and are still having the issue, I'm guessing it's a hardware problem.