This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Using a tv and have a question

#1MrtyuPosted 1/24/2014 6:49:10 AM
I'm getting my last part next week and was wondering how bad is it that I'm using a 32 inch tv for the gaming on my computer? I've heard the resolution won't be the best as well as refresh rate along with possible mouse lag. Its only temporary till I can get a Benq monitor but just wondering what to expect from doing this?
#2Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 6:57:38 AM
This all depends on the TV. Some have good resolution, modern ones all have good refresh rates(never really over 60Hz input though), and some have low input lag. Look up the specs on your TV to see how that is.

One thing to keep in mind is that they all overscan by default(because cable broadcasts account for it), so if your TV has no settings to turn that off you're going to have trouble seeing all of your start menu and such.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3SmakkyofacePosted 1/24/2014 7:02:19 AM
Ive been using a 32" 1080p tv for a couple of years now. Most have a "game" mode which, if the tv is good enough, will eliminate virtually any input lag. Also, disable any enhancements and set the screen size to "just scan" or native resolution.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 48GB DDR3 1866 (40GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#4Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 7:02:58 AM
Well its an Alba which is a reputable brand but I've had it for a couple of years so I don't have a box or anything, I don't which is more expensive led or lcd but its the cheaper one of the two. Should there be some more information on the back of it?
#5Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 7:06:14 AM
It does have a "gaming" mode but its in options with other modes like cinema so is this just an cosmetic option or what you mentioned?
#6Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 7:08:31 AM
The game mode on yours probably just changes the color calibration etc if that's what the options next to it do.

I would think you should be able to find the model number somewhere on your TV.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 7:14:23 AM
Just went into menu and the Game mode option is separate from the lighting options such as cinema and also at the bottom cut away from the options it says "1080p", "H: 67KHz" and "V: 60Hz". What do these mean because I know what they should mean but its not always the case?
#8GoIrish80Posted 1/24/2014 7:49:53 AM
If it's only temporary then I really don't think it matters...just use it until your substitute is in place.

What you're saying is probably true in that it won't have the greatest picture and it may suffer from a little bit of lag, but you're not going to know until you try it and even if those things happen...then they happen. If you don't have an alternative yet what does it matter? It's not going to ruin your PC.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#9Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 8:07:34 AM
I just tried messing around with resolution settings using hdmi from laptop to tv and it supports 1920x1080 and is fine for games but everything else outside of the game is really small, when I switched to an easy to see size stuff was cut off in the game.
#10ClouddxPosted 1/24/2014 8:59:21 AM
TVs usually have massive input lag compared to monitors, this means the controls will be delayed slightly. It's impossible to notice when just looking at one screen, but when you do get a monitor and if you put them side by side you'll notice a huge difference.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S