This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The first, 100% bonafide way casuals objectively ruin gaming.

#1PezofpowerPosted 1/24/2014 6:15:01 AM
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/candy-crush-saga-dev-king-trademarks-the-word-candy

TL;DR

Candy Crush Saga maker, King Studios is tying up the guys who make The Banner Saga, because copyright dispute of the word "Saga".

Thank god this isn't the 90s.
#2pothocketPosted 1/24/2014 6:19:46 AM
Or, you know, it could be exactly like Bethesda making a fuss over Notch using "scrolls". You remember Bethesda, the developer that doesn't make casual games and didn't ruin gaming?
#3Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 6:22:32 AM
So King made this statement:

King has not and is not trying to stop Banner Saga from using its name. We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content. However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga’s trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of ‘Saga’ was legitimate.

Right there they said they weren't actually violating the trademark and have no problem with their name. They said they weren't a real copycat. Why the **** does that not just mean case closed? Our legal system is really dumb sometimes.

Not to mention the Banner Saga uses the word Saga in its ****ing dictionary defined, proper way. The game's are actually about Sagas.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#4AsellusPosted 1/24/2014 6:26:11 AM
They can put in the suit, doesn't mean it won't get laughed out of court.
#5-5xad0w-Posted 1/24/2014 6:26:39 AM
Surprised these guys haven't spoken up.

https://www.playsaga.com/saga_index.php
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#6GoIrish80Posted 1/24/2014 6:28:57 AM
Can someone please explain to me why Candy Crush is a big deal?

Isn't it just Bejeweled with a different skin?
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#7EciDemonPosted 1/24/2014 6:29:07 AM
Reminds me about the debacle with Bethesda and the word "Scrolls"
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#8Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 6:30:24 AM
GoIrish80 posted...

It just has an addictive money grabbing format that casuals fall for.

I believe there's like 27,000 levels and you only have so many lives before you have to wait an extended period of time to play again. Or pay to play immediately.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#9AlleRacingPosted 1/24/2014 6:41:32 AM
pothocket posted...
Or, you know, it could be exactly like Bethesda making a fuss over Notch using "scrolls". You remember Bethesda, the developer that doesn't make casual games and didn't ruin gaming?

It's, like, the opposite of that. Notch tried to trademark 'scrolls' and Bethesda sued. In this instance, King has trademarked 'Candy' and 'Saga' and is attempting to sue the makers of The Banner Saga. Pretty infantile, since Candy Crush Saga is a blatant ripoff of Bejewelled, and nothing about the game remotely represents the word 'saga'.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#10daniel79Posted 1/24/2014 6:41:44 AM
Ch3wy posted...
GoIrish80 posted...

It just has an addictive money grabbing format that casuals fall for.

I believe there's like 27,000 levels and you only have so many lives before you have to wait an extended period of time to play again. Or pay to play immediately.

It's a scumbag game, made by scumbags for the braindead..