This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about HDMI PC to TV delay

#1DartDragoonPosted 1/24/2014 7:52:40 AM(edited)
I recently got a huge HDMI cable to plug from my PC to my TV to play some games in the comfort of my couch. I setupped the screens so that the TV is the exact same thign as my PC screen. But there is a very slight delay between my PC monitor and the TV, something like 0.2 seconds, just enough for controls to feel laggy/sluggish most of the time.

Is that normal ? Any idea what's the actual problem ? Is it because TV usually don't refresh as fast as a PC monitor ? Or there's some settings I should change somewhere ? Is it because the output is split into 2 (my monitor isnt plugged in HDMI) ?
---
GT: AstroZombie29
SF4:Vega BB:Arakune SG:Parasoul UMvC3:TaskM / Haggar / Trish
#2ClouddxPosted 1/24/2014 7:54:28 AM(edited)
That's because your TV has more input lag than your monitor as most TVs do, and when you can see them side by side it's even more noticeable.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#3burn420247Posted 1/24/2014 7:56:02 AM(edited)
look for a "game mode" in your TV's settings, turn it on.

turn off all of your TV's image processing settings also.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#4ivanwind15Posted 1/24/2014 7:57:37 AM
If you're burn420247 posted...

This. Chances are you have a 120Hz + TV
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#5ClouddxPosted 1/24/2014 8:01:16 AM(edited)
ivanwind15 posted...

If it's just input lag this isn't going to help, and from what he described it sounds exactly like input lag.
---
#6Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 8:02:36 AM
Clouddx posted...
ivanwind15 posted...

If it's just input lag this isn't going to help, and from what he described it sounds exactly like input lag.

Turning off image processing wouldn't help?

Image processing like Auto Motion Plus requires additional input lag, that's the only way it could possibly work.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7burn420247Posted 1/24/2014 8:04:49 AM(edited)
ivanwind15 posted...

If it's just input lag, this isn't going to help and from what he described it sounds exactly like input lag.

it does indeed help with input lag. i have a 47" Vizio TV, and 2 24"Acer monitors i use in my own set-up. i speak from my own experience. turning on game mode and turning off the TV's image processing features negated ALL my input lag problems.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#8ClouddxPosted 1/24/2014 8:04:42 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Clouddx posted...
ivanwind15 posted...

Turning off image processing wouldn't help?

Image processing like Auto Motion Plus requires additional input lag, that's the only way it could possibly work.

It might help, but it sound like it's just the TV. I have my comp hooked up to my monitor and TV(with all the extra crap turned off) and there is still a noticeable difference b/t the responsiveness of the controls when going from my monitor to my TV.

What he's experiencing doesn't sound like something out of the norm when comparing a TV to a monitor.
---
#9Ch3wyPosted 1/24/2014 8:07:33 AM
Clouddx posted...

It might help, but it sound like it's just the TV. I have my comp hooked up to my monitor and TV(with all the extra crap turned off) and there is still a noticeable difference b/t the responsiveness of the controls when going from my monitor to my TV.

What he's experiencing doesn't sound like something out of the norm when comparing a TV to a monitor.

It's definitely going to help. It needs to know the frames ahead of time in order to create the predicted frames to interpolate.

It's not a completely normal thing, modern TVs don't always have bad input lag.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10ClouddxPosted 1/24/2014 8:09:53 AM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
Clouddx posted...

It's definitely going to help. It needs to know the frames ahead of time in order to create the predicted frames to interpolate.

It's not a completely normal thing, modern TVs don't always have bad input lag.

I'm not saying bad input lag, it's just compared to a (decent)monitor you're always going to notice the input lag on the TV, especially if you set it to clone display and stare at both side by side while moving the mouse or a character in game.
---