This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you excited for Dark Souls 2?

#61exclusiveburnerPosted 1/25/2014 4:38:31 PM
One thing about Dark Souls is that you know you're getting your moneys worth. It's one of the few games you can sink hundreds of hours in these days. I think I managed around 600 hours into the first game on PS3 which is just insane. I can't count how many battles I've been in, but it's just such a beast when it comes to gameplay it always leaves you wanting more. If Dark Souls 2 is as good as the first one....my girlfriend's going to be upset.
#62monkmithPosted 1/25/2014 4:39:48 PM
very much excited, especially after finally beating dark souls (got the game at launch but could never beat nito, just retried on pc recently and got through the game in a week). i'll relish the rage inducing cheap deaths until the walkthrough videos come up.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#63DaedalusExPosted 1/25/2014 4:44:39 PM(edited)
The manual addresses:

-use humanity to revert back to human at bonfires
-you can fortify bonfires with humanity if you are human
-sharing kindling
-must be human to summon a co-op player

That's pretty much all you need to know. The only important thing it doesn't explicitly say is that being human opens you up to invasions.
#64Fade2black001Posted 1/25/2014 4:50:02 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Doomkilla posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Yeah, no. Game mechanics should be properly explained somewhere or not implemented, especially the ones with important consequences.

They don't need to be. It is their game they are developing. Not yours.

And it's my money they want. I win that argument in all conceivable cases. Old school RPGs had manuals thicker than the bible for a reason and that reason wasn't pulling mechanics out of your ass and not mentioning they were there.

Name one game's manual that was like that. You can't because there isn't one.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#65Orestes417Posted 1/25/2014 5:07:56 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Doomkilla posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Yeah, no. Game mechanics should be properly explained somewhere or not implemented, especially the ones with important consequences.

And it's my money they want. I win that argument in all conceivable cases. Old school RPGs had manuals thicker than the bible for a reason and that reason wasn't pulling mechanics out of your ass and not mentioning they were there.

One game? That's easy. Any of the old Jane's Combat sims. Still got the high quality spiral bound manuals for most of them on my bookshelf. I was thinking more of the proper RPGs though, in which case I could direct you to a shelf full of AD&D manuals
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#66MadPinoRagePosted 1/25/2014 5:12:42 PM
Barely played the first one.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#67DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/25/2014 5:16:20 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Since when is it "good game design" to constantly hold the player's hand?

At what point did documenting features translate to "holding the players hands"? If it exists in the ****ing game, it should be documented somewhere in the manuals.

Sense of discovery is so much higher when you figure something out on your own. The mechanics and hidden variables are pretty simple in a game like dark souls. Games like King's Field had little documentation and benefited greatly (imo) from it. Beating those games were some of my fondest ps1 era memories.

Obviously the exploration, discovery, and trial and error gameplay doesn't appeal to you. Feel free to pass but if they did explain everything, it would lose a lot of its appeal to myself and many others.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#68KOTRwhoopsPosted 1/25/2014 5:18:36 PM
CELTEKK posted...
MMaestro posted...
Ikilluha1 posted...
MMaestro posted...
Not really. I used to play a ton of Monster Hunter so when I finally picked up Dark Souls 1 I demolished it. (Leveling up is too complicated! I'll just dump my points into whatever sounds good followed by whatever I can afford at the time! Humanity? Wtf is that? The game didn't say anything about it; therefore I don't need it, I don't care, so I'll just leave it in my bag the whole game! )

You do know you can read item descriptions.

And here is someone who used a walkthrough for the entire game.

The game NEVER explains what Humanity is.

You need the game to tell you what something is, you can't just use it and... er... find out yourself? Guess you need a game to hold your hand. :/

On topic, yes. I'm excited.

As much as I love the Souls games they are crap at explaining what things do, even the developers admit this.

There's hand holding and then there is too far the other way, the Souls games went a little too far.

On topic, can't wait but I'll get the PS3 version, just because I worry about cheating on the PC.
---
PLAYING - Knack (PS4), Tearaway (Vita), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3), Dayz (PC)
MOST WANTED - Lightning Returns, Destiny, Dark Souls II, FFX/X-2 HD, Evil Within
#69ab2c4Posted 1/25/2014 5:21:28 PM
Yes, I love the Souls games. I haven't decided if I am getting it on ps3 or PC though.
#70Fade2black001Posted 1/25/2014 5:27:10 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Doomkilla posted...
Orestes417 posted...

One game? That's easy. Any of the old Jane's Combat sims. Still got the high quality spiral bound manuals for most of them on my bookshelf. I was thinking more of the proper RPGs though, in which case I could direct you to a shelf full of AD&D manuals

You mean like Baldur's Gate? Yea .... No. The Bilble is still thicker with more pages. Unless you thinking of a different Bible from the Holy Bible.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.