This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a faulty graphics card ruin PSU cables?

#1triple sPosted 1/24/2014 7:20:36 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago I spilled coffee on my computer and it appeared it ruined my graphics card. I doused it in 91% Alcohol and put it in my kids computer a day later and it worked. When I tried it on my computer, it didn't until I used a modular cable and used a six pin splitter. That actually worked for a couple of days until my computer lost it's signal and it never came back. Here's the thing, when I tried using the same graphics card on my kids computer again, it did not work and when I put back the 460 it would no longer power on until I changed the six pin adapter. Now, I've already changed out my PSU thinking it was the problem but it wasn't. I'm not really mad about that, because it's a better PSU anyways but I'm more concerned if it ruined my modular 6 pin connector on the new PSU. I wanted to get a new GPU anyways too, but it sucks that I can't exactly sell my GTX 680 to put towards one.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#2ivanwind15Posted 1/24/2014 7:24:04 PM(edited)
No. Cables can get damaged via a short circuit, but your PSU and GPU would be fried too.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#3MonkeymagePosted 1/24/2014 7:24:07 PM
No, but coffee can.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#4triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 7:29:25 PM
ivanwind15 posted...
No. Cables can get damaged via a short circuit, but your PSU and GPU would be fried too.

Okay, maybe you can explain this to me then. The coffee got into the two six pin "outlets" or whatever you call them on the graphics card. Since then the six pin cables have not been working. So is this causing a short circuit?
---
#5wildog2006Posted 1/25/2014 1:11:43 AM
Let me simplify this for you.

liquid + computer = bad

The only way to guarantee nothing else is damaged is to scrap it all and start a new build. Liquid damage can affect nothing at all or it can kill your entire system. If you've already replaced the PSU and it's still doing the same thing it's not illogical to think that coffee got on the mobo and damaged that too.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/25/2014 1:24:43 AM
You shorting your PSU and GPU at the same time != faulty videocard.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#7triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 8:07:39 AM
I'm at the point where I think both my motherboard and GPU is ****ed up. Motherboard does not detect the graphics card at all. The fans spin on it so that would at least rule out the power supply right? It doesn't bother me that much because I can get them both replaced within a couple of weeks. I'll probably just go 4770k/780 and call it a day.
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/26/2014 1:10:48 PM
triple s posted...
I'm at the point where I think both my motherboard and GPU is ****ed up. Motherboard does not detect the graphics card at all. The fans spin on it so that would at least rule out the power supply right? It doesn't bother me that much because I can get them both replaced within a couple of weeks. I'll probably just go 4770k/780 and call it a day.

No. A dead PSU can still supply power, and fans aren't particularly picky.
---
#9triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 5:08:48 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
triple s posted...

The rest of the computer is working fine with the PSU though. Same with the old PSU.
---
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/26/2014 7:06:58 PM
triple s posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
triple s posted...

The rest of the computer is working fine with the PSU though. Same with the old PSU.

A shorted PSU can appear to function correctly while still providing dangerously out of spec power to your computer. Just depends on what you burnt and how badly.
Worse, it could fail spectacularly down the road.
---