This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What am I missing out on by only using GoG and Steam..

#1PokenubPosted 1/25/2014 4:01:11 AM
With services like Desura, uPlay and.. ak.. Origin out there, I have only ever bothered with GoG for the older games and Steam for everything else.

Am I missing out on much by not having these?

Obviously I miss out on EA games by not having Origin (Because seriously, have there been any good EA games in the last 10 or so years..) but with Desura and uPlay am I missing out on anything decent there?
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#2j2_tha_macPosted 1/25/2014 4:21:01 AM
You'll have to install uplay if you buy any newer ubisoft games, even if you purchase them on steam. Can't play any newer blizzard games without a battle.net account at least, I think. Personally I have the applications for steam, origin, uplay and battle.net on my PC. Can't really see any reason not to.
#3Arsene-LupinPosted 1/25/2014 3:47:00 PM
Mostly, you're missing out on:

Emulated games.
Genre games (like classic Star Trek games).
Blizzard games.
And the few-odd classic games that aren't distributed digitally anywhere (leaving piracy as the only option)--like Rise of Nations, Homeworld, Mechwarrior, etc.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4PsythikPosted 1/25/2014 5:02:52 PM
The only worthwhile game you're missing out on is Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2012. But the player population has completely died out so there's no point in playing it now.

The last good Battlefield game was Bad Company 2, which doesn't even require Origin.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#5r7gerrabbitPosted 1/25/2014 6:09:16 PM(edited)
Greenmangaming.com

It often has 25% off sales that even apply to pre-orders. Pay attention to their sales. It's not often announced, and they often have absolute gems available.

edit: Be warned though. Their DRM (their version of Steam) is absolutely horrible. Stick to games that have Origin/Steam activation keys, or don't use their client.
---
Sig.
#6snesmaster40Posted 1/25/2014 6:08:51 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...

Emulated games.
Blizzard games.
And the few-odd classic games that aren't distributed digitally anywhere (leaving piracy as the only option)--like Rise of Nations, Homeworld, Mechwarrior, etc.

Huh? The old Star Trek games are digitally available?
---
Are we not men?
#7Majoras_pantsPosted 1/25/2014 8:55:48 PM
You're missing out on a bit. Some game shave their own clients and don't touch things like Steam. Like a lot of MMOs and LoL.

Blizzard games.

Origin has some decent games. But not a ton.

I don't know. Not a ton really. But be open to the other ones, because while people whine about them a lot most of the mare fine. Like Origin. It's a fine client, it's just not as good as steam.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#8r7gerrabbitPosted 1/26/2014 2:00:48 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
You're missing out on a bit. Some game shave their own clients and don't touch things like Steam. Like a lot of MMOs and LoL.

Blizzard games.

Origin has some decent games. But not a ton.

I don't know. Not a ton really. But be open to the other ones, because while people whine about them a lot most of the mare fine. Like Origin. It's a fine client, it's just not as good as steam.

I'd say Origin is a better client overall than Steam. I don't use the Community features, so as a game client Origin is far better.

I just don't play EA published games. They have the odd sale. Like the Humble Bundle, and Mass Effect 3 for $5. But other than that I don't have a reason to use it.
---
Sig.
#9ggf162Posted 1/26/2014 2:14:27 AM(edited)
Arsene-Lupin posted...

Emulated games.
Blizzard games.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7825/

EDIT: Also, a large number of games on GOG use Dosbox for the older MS-DOS games.
---
J-"RPG"s don't deserve the title, when they are basically TBS games with adventure elements.
#10GarudinPosted 1/26/2014 3:07:46 AM(edited)
r7gerrabbit posted...
edit: Be warned though. Their DRM (their version of Steam) is absolutely horrible. Stick to games that have Origin/Steam activation keys, or don't use their client.

Isn't it Capsule that GMG uses? If so what's the problems with it I only have a single game that used Capsule(Tomb Raider Anniversary) and I haven't run into any issues. I believe it even only acted as a downloader.
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin