This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Help me build thread

#1psprulz2007Posted 1/25/2014 6:56:31 AM(edited)
Ive officially filed my taxes. Now is the waiting game. The moment I receive my money Ill be ordering my pc.

My budget is $1500-$1700

I want:
i5 4670k
A heatsink that will allow me to OC
good mobo
8 gigs of ram (more if we can sneak it in)
At least 1TB HDD
780Ti
21 inch or bigger 1080p monitor
keyboard+ mouse
Good enough PSU to allow me to add an additional GPU later
A case that has a see through side and allow me to use a neon light
OS
any additional parts required to build a PC
No SSD (again unless we can sneak it into the budget

Basically I want to build this thing myself. All I know for sure is I want a i5 4670k so I can OC and a 780Ti Gpu. Everything else I need help with picking parts that are in fact compatible and generally the best price to performance that sits within my budget.

You can use pcpartpicker (if that helps get the best parts at best prices but id rather it all be listed to one site so I can have 1 single large shipment and not pay shipping to 3+ different sites.

Thanks guys.
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
Help save a life www.twitch.tv/feelinkorny
#2pjlindPosted 1/25/2014 8:41:02 AM(edited)
You could have done this yourself, it sounds like you know what you want. I'll leave it to you to pick the case/kb/mouse. should have some room left in your budget

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pjlind/saved/3xCK

-edit- That MB wont SLI but I dont feel like looking anything else up, you want a z87 mobo for overclocking and sli if you want to run 2 nvidia cards.
---
i5-4670k | MSI Z87-G41 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4gb DDR3-2133 | 530w 80+ | 1tb Seagate Barracuda | Rosewill BlackHawk
#3Fear The ClownPosted 1/25/2014 8:43:55 AM
Minor recommendation, obviously budget isn't a major issue but you could save some cash on that videocard and still get better performance if you went with 2 GTX760s SLI. Check this link out with benchmark scores of 2 GTX 760 2GB SLI vs a 780TI http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1172 . As the conclusion states they were testing SLI with 2GB versions of the card and recommend that if you do this using the 4GB versions to see even more performance increases over the 780ti.

If you roll with SLI you shouldn't need to change anything in your setup, PSU should be good and mobo is good and you'll save about $200 to put into something else while walking away with a stronger system.
#4Fear The ClownPosted 1/25/2014 9:11:50 AM(edited)
I recommend you check out this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135365&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_- its a 1337 Gank Drone. Its essentially a budget z87 chipset motherboard for $120. I have it in my system with a 4770k. The motherboard is very high quality, caps are gold, it has pretty much every feature you'll need at an affordable price. I really like it personally and it saved me about $100. My only 2 issues with it are the UEFI descriptions for everything can make overclocking/tweaking difficult at first if you're not super knowledgeable in doing this. The other issue is that I use a surround sound turtle beach headset via an optical out and they did not purchase the Dolby Digital Live license to push a surround signal through the optical out so I had to locate an unlocked driver to do this which was kind of a pain in the you know what, though it is unlikely that my 2nd issue will affect you at all.

Installation was a breeze as well, it comes with a driver disc that installs everything you need in relation to the motherboard, and a thick manual that goes through every feature of the motherboard including every UEFI setting(though as I said earlier the descriptions on some of these items do nothing to elaborate on what these features actually do).

My overclock on my 4770k is 4.2ghz stable with a 1:1 ring cache, though its impossible to determine if the poor overclock is the CPU or the motherboard(since these chips can have wildly different OC potential from one chip to another) without putting the chip in another board.

Edit: this motherboard is also SLI and Crossfire ready unlike the MSI board for $5 cheaper mentioned earlier. You probably can't go wrong with either board, though I do recommend this one as I have first hand experience with it.
#5psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 10:49:42 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/feelinkorny/saved/3xGc

this is a build suggested to me from the steam message boards. It looks solid but I need more opinions. I just want to make damn sure Im getting solid good parts.

Im also curious as the SLI mentioned above. Would that be a better option then a single 780Ti? Obviously it will depend on individual games but overall would it a better option?
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#6Fear The ClownPosted 1/25/2014 11:33:35 AM
Check out the link I stuck in there, the 2gb 760 in SLI outperforms a single 780ti, if you go with the 4gb version which you should for SLI it'll only be slightly more expensive and the gains should be higher. The drawbacks are you're going to draw more power, but your 750W psu should still cover it, and there will be more heat in the case but nothing substantial. Financially you will save quite a bit as well. I'm also not aware of any new games that don't support SLI so that is a non issue going forward as it is common enough that developers typically support it.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#7psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 11:43:00 AM(edited)
Fear The Clown posted...
Check out the link I stuck in there, the 2gb 760 in SLI outperforms a single 780ti, if you go with the 4gb version which you should for SLI it'll only be slightly more expensive and the gains should be higher. The drawbacks are you're going to draw more power, but your 750W psu should still cover it, and there will be more heat in the case but nothing substantial. Financially you will save quite a bit as well. I'm also not aware of any new games that don't support SLI so that is a non issue going forward as it is common enough that developers typically support it.

Im not opposing the idea. Its a consideration Ill take till I finalize my build. Ive ran 6950 crossfired and was happy with what I had(no longer have the pc). So Im not one of those "Ill take a single card over SLI/CF any day" type guys. But at the same time Id be ok with a single 780 now and then SLI that. (thus improving upon the 760 SLI)

However, Ive also done a few tweaking and have come up with this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2HnWh

By dropping to a normal 780 instead of a Ti (and a few other little tweaks) Ive been able to go up to 12 gig ram as well as add a SSD and a personal touch to the keyboard/mouse. This actually dropped the overall price to $1643 So may still use the savings towards SLI the 760's as stated above or using it to upgrade another part of my build.
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#8fatboy44Posted 1/25/2014 11:43:23 AM
I would really suggest making room for that SSD.. that was the single best upgrade I've made in the last ten years. EVERYTHING is faster. Load times are gone, and windows just feels "snappier", textures in games appear instantly etc.
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#9AltmadragonPosted 1/25/2014 11:49:38 AM
psprulz2007 posted...
Fear The Clown posted...

Im not opposing the idea. Its a consideration Ill take till I finalize my build. Ive ran 6950 crossfired and was happy with what I had(no longer have the pc). So Im not one of those "Ill take a single card over SLI/CF any day" type guys. But at the same time Id be ok with a single 780 now and then SLI that. (thus improving upon the 760 SLI)

However, Ive also done a few tweaking and have come up with this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2HnWh

By dropping to a normal 780 instead of a Ti (and a few other little tweaks) Ive been able to go up to 12 gig ram as well as add a SSD and a personal touch to the keyboard/mouse. This actually dropped the overall price to $1643 So may still use the savings towards SLI the 760's as stated above or using it to upgrade another part of my build.

going sli 760 doesn't have as long as a life as a single 780 or ti. once 760 sli power drops to the point where you want more you'd be looking at a new set of cards because adding a 3rd 760 is horrible performance for the price vs just adding another 780 if that point comes.
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#10psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 12:14:26 PM(edited)
I agree. Im more leaning towards the single 780 now and then SLI later once prices do drop.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/feelinkorny/saved/3xIC
But right now that's the build I have set up. Unless something appears to be wrong with it, or any upgrades I could make with $100, then I think our work is done here.

*edit* what about a case fan?

Also Id like to know, would it be wise to invest into anti static wrist straps? I don't wear socks, don't have any pets and cant remember the last time Ive been shocked. I should also buy a tube of thermal compound correct? Anything else I should consider buying to help build? Any spare wires or anything of that nature I should invest in?
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny