This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to install another hard drive

#1AsuirPosted 1/25/2014 10:53:10 AM
So I bought this Toshiba laptop a couple months ago and it works great. However it came with Windows 8.1 and while it worked fine, it's gotten to the point where I want to go back to Windows 7.

So what I initially did was take the HD from my old laptop with Win7 and plugged it into the second HD bay. Bios read the HD, I was able to add the second HD to the selection menu and everything seemed great. However it wouldn't boot past the Win7 logo, freezing when it got there. It wouldn't load through safe mode, repair mode, reload earliest configuration, etc.

So I thought about wiping the second HD and reinstalling Win7, but I couldn't boot through usb or cd.

Anyone have any advice that could solve this problem? Or anyone run into something similar? I've tried searching online, but information seems sparse.
---
Ftw!
#2Orestes417Posted 1/25/2014 11:00:35 AM
Probably going to have to go into your bios and turn off secure boot if it's a modern laptop.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#3Asuir(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 12:00:05 PM
Already did that.
---
Ftw!
#4Asuir(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 2:08:26 PM
If my computer wasn't being allowed to read other drives, what could I do?
---
Ftw!
#5fataliPosted 1/25/2014 2:14:17 PM(edited)
Moving a windows install from 1 PC to another almost always causes a blue screen error at boot, because the hardware is different and the drivers do not match, you can try to inject the drivers of the the Win8 Machine in the new install, but since you can't even make the PC recognize your external drives I really doubt you could pull that off, since it's a complicated task.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I saw in an old machine an option in the BIOS to turn on/off USB storage devices, maybe that is disabled in your laptop?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6AltmadragonPosted 1/25/2014 2:15:53 PM
you cant use windows oems off pre-builts on other computers. thats why it isnt loading
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#7drinkPosted 1/25/2014 2:51:16 PM
Altmadragon posted...
you cant use windows oems off pre-builts on other computers. thats why it isnt loading

This.
You will need a oem windows 7 disc to install windows.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#8AltmadragonPosted 1/25/2014 3:05:47 PM
drink posted...
Altmadragon posted...

This.
You will need a Retail windows 7 disc to install windows.

---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#9Asuir(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 7:00:44 PM
fatali posted...
Moving a windows install from 1 PC to another almost always causes a blue screen error at boot, because the hardware is different and the drivers do not match, you can try to inject the drivers of the the Win8 Machine in the new install, but since you can't even make the PC recognize your external drives I really doubt you could pull that off, since it's a complicated task.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I saw in an old machine an option in the BIOS to turn on/off USB storage devices, maybe that is disabled in your laptop?

It recognizes them, but isn't able to fully boot them. It won't fully boot the second hard drive past the logo and won't boot through USB/CD past initial a few menu options.
---
Ftw!