This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone heard of faulty HDMI ports on a TV?

#1MonkeymagePosted 1/25/2014 3:04:32 PM
I have a Panasonic Plasma TV that's about 4 years old now...I did have a WiiU plugged into the third HDMI port on the side, and when I finally turned it on today, the colors were normal at first and then became a ridiculous kaledioscopic mess after about 2 minutes. They won't revert. I switched the HDMI cable over to another port and it works fine, and I plugged my PS3 HDMI cord into the "faulty" port and I'm getting the same issue.

What would cause this, if it was previously working normally? Any way to fix it?
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#2LordSeiferPosted 1/25/2014 3:14:43 PM
ive seen them lose connection from physical problems, yes

ie a plug was in it, got jarred, connection is loose, you get messed up picture or no picture.
---
^ this
#3PsythikPosted 1/25/2014 5:07:54 PM
Swap out the cables for new ones and clean the ports with rubbing alcohol and a Q*Tip.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/25/2014 5:10:48 PM
Actually I think a bad hdmi cable I used shorted something in my tv. I'm fairly sure it was the cable as it had issues with other devices as well. Luckily my tv's other hdmi ports are fine.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5LvthnPosted 1/25/2014 5:24:11 PM
Yes, many times. I've seen everything from total failure to loss of audio only. It's hardly uncommon.

Before declaring it to be the port:

- Test with an HDMI cable verified to work, preferably using completely separate devices
- Test device with alternate display
- Test same port, alternate device
- Test same cable, alternate port

If the cable and output device are verified working, then basically either that port is bad, or possibly all ports are bad.

Creditials: Certified broadband technician
#6LordSeiferPosted 1/25/2014 6:34:28 PM(edited)
installing internet makes you a tv expert?

also that sounds like a made up certification given to someone after a one day course

source: guy who installs internet
---
^ this
#7LvthnPosted 1/25/2014 6:45:53 PM(edited)
LordSeifer posted...
installing internet makes you a tv expert?

also that sounds like a made up certification given to someone after a one day course

source: guy who installs internet

Six months, certified by the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers, and yes, because broadband and cable television operate on the same system, and we do both, in addition to telephone and security. I also have previous experience with satellite service providers.

Who is "guy who installs internet?" Are you talking about...a subcontractor? Maybe a guy whose training in the field was riding along with someone else for a couple weeks before being issued a truck and a pile of equipment he barely understands? If so, lulz, and my condolences. For reference, I'm the guy who fixes their ****ups, and if he'd known what he was talking about he'd know a broadband technician works with television just as much as internet.
#8TimePharaohPosted 1/25/2014 7:03:18 PM
No, parts on things never break.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#9MasterDonGeroPosted 1/25/2014 7:08:40 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
No, parts on things never break.

I lol'd.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom