This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading from a Linksys WRT54G to a Buffalo WZR-600DHP worth it?

#1Lord_KronosIIIPosted 1/26/2014 3:37:16 AM(edited)
I've had my Linksys for about 6 or 7 years now and it has been a good router but I feel like I may want to upgrade to something newer. Now I don't know anything about networking but I suspect I may get higher speeds. I have a 25mb/sec connection.
---
Don't be a pin-head.
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 1/26/2014 3:02:43 AM
Yes it is an upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n. It is going to give you faster connection. Make sure the wireless adapter in your PC are capable of using 802.11n. If your wireless adapter is only capable of 802.11g, then you will hardly feel the difference.

If you want even better, you can get Asus RT-N66U, but it costs even more.

If you want the best, get 802.11ac router and wireless adapter together. Note that 802.11ac is only available for 5ghz band and you definitely need to upgrade your wireless adapters to get the full potential for these. Current best wireless routers are currently Netgear Nighthawk and Asus RT-AC68U. A little expensive though
#3Lord_KronosIII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:36:19 AM
I think I would get the Buffalo but I don't have a wireless network card in my PC. I run a 100ft ethernet cable from downstairs where my modem and router are to my bedroom upstairs which has my PC. I would love to get rid of this ethernet cable and run it to a PS3 downstairs instead so could you recommend me a good wireless card for my PC that would work well with the Buffalo. I am also thinking of upgrading my modem to a newer surfboard docsis 3.0. I currently have a much older modem. I have a 25 meg/sec speed limit but never get those speeds. Thanks in advance.
---
Don't be a pin-head.
#4Flaktrooper123Posted 1/26/2014 4:06:03 AM
You can get internal wireless adapter or a USB wireless adapter. I am not sure what available in your area, just make sure it is at least n rated.

The difference between the various adapters usually are the transfer speed, faster is better of course. Those around $30 to $50 probably the best value. Just make sure you have the slot of whichever one you choose. USB is easier to install than PCI since you don't need to open up your PC case but it will take one of your USB slots. Don't bother with those $100 ac adapters since you are not getting an ac router anyway.

I believe the default wireless adapter that comes with the PS3 is 802.11g. You cannot use PC wireless adapter for it though, due to compatibility issue with the drivers, though only if speed is an issue.
#5Lord_KronosIII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 12:41:19 PM
I found some wireless adapters but they take a pci express slot. I have one pci express slot which my video card is taking up. I thought these adaptors only need a regular pci slot...
---
Don't be a pin-head.
#6SlaynPosted 1/26/2014 12:52:01 PM
Are you getting your full 25mbps? You should, your current router is up to 54. If you do, don't bother.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#7Lord_KronosIII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 2:17:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Lord_KronosIII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 2:23:25 PM(edited)
Slayn posted...
Are you getting your full 25mbps? You should, your current router is up to 54. If you do, don't bother.

No I'm not, only get up to 15 on speedtest (just tried on ny cellphone using WiFi and got 11mbps download and 1.2mbps upload) and much less when I actually try to download something...like 1 to 2mbps. I have an older Motorola Surfboard SB5101 modem so I'm thinking that may be the problem too...
---
Don't be a pin-head.
#9Lord_KronosIII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:19:17 PM
bump
---
Don't be a pin-head.
#10LordSeiferPosted 1/26/2014 3:20:03 PM
if you want to find out if its the modem, bypass the router and plug into the modem. then run speedtest
---
^ this