This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally going to upgrade my laptop. Just some questions before I do.

#1IvoryKeys88Posted 1/26/2014 8:43:02 AM
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=3695C5E6A5CA7304

I have a Dell Latitude D505. It's crap. This can make it infinitely faster and y'know, work like normal. My hard drive with my files will remain intact right? I don't have to back that up to somewhere else?

When installing, just turn off the laptop and swap out the part, turn on and good to go? What else might I need to know?
---
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
#2ChamillionLivePosted 1/26/2014 9:04:10 AM
That's it, just swap it out. Won't do anything to your hard drive.

That said, I don't know how much of a boost you're expecting, and you should probably check and make sure that stick is compatible with your motherboard.
---
"C4 is not a substitute for a certified mechanic." - A_Hairy_Waffle
#3IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 9:14:05 AM(edited)
Did you click the link? It's made specifically for my laptop and every review is nothing but positive in saying "Easy to install, Fast, Increases speed, Increased performance, Multiple desktop applications" etc.

The page says I'm capable of holding 2GB but I can't find that item.
---
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
#4IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 9:15:14 AM
It also says 2 slots. Should I open up the laptop and see what's what? Maybe I can get two 1GB upgrades and put them both in for the max 2GB?
---
#5LordSeiferPosted 1/26/2014 9:15:25 AM
its a reasonable thing to buy, but dont expect it to rock your world.
---
^ this
#6IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 9:18:34 AM
Anything is an improvement over what it's like now. It's gotta be worth it.
---
#7GTRagnarokPosted 1/26/2014 2:01:36 PM
I'm sure it'll be better but it'll still be a piece of crap. You're better putting that money towards a refurbished laptop that will be much faster.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.
#8ryan0991Posted 1/26/2014 2:14:59 PM
I wouldn't put any money into that piece of crap. It's like polishing a turd.

But yes, you should just be able to swap it right in. There's probably some type of mechanism that snaps it in place. It's pretty easy to figure out.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#9IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 9:53:22 PM
I know it's a piece of crap. That's why I'm doing this and not spending hundreds on a new one. I don't have that money right now, and when I do have that kind of money, it will be spent on other more important things.

Thanks for the info on putting in. --"That's what she said" I had to.
---
#10Lonestar2000Posted 1/27/2014 6:07:13 AM
I'd get this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-DDR-PC2700-SODIMM-333MHz-PC-2700-2X-1GB-MEMORY-/330569849349?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item4cf77f9a05
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335