This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you played Shadowrun Returns and/or The Banner Saga?

#1telocasterPosted 1/26/2014 11:55:51 AM
How are they?
---
My Favorite Systems: SNES, N64, GameCube, Nintendo DS
Generation 7 of Consoles Sucked
#2my_name_is_EdPosted 1/26/2014 11:59:16 AM
Prolly wont get to play TBS, thanks to Candy Crush. It'll be more like The Banner Story, or The Banner Legacy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#3pothocketPosted 1/26/2014 12:12:21 PM
My reply to another topic asking how TBS was:

I'm very disappointed in the gameplay mechanics of Banner saga. Mainly that units do not threaten adjacent spaces. This means units can move around and away from hostile units with no penalty. Really stupid decision for a turn based game meant to detail how a fight plays out.

The other thing that really bugs me is that unit speed is an abstract concept directly related to how outnumbered the unit is. The turn order mechanics are idiotic and what ends up happening is the last few enemies become very very fast. Which ends up creating this stupid meta-game strategy of leaving weak enemies alive because they essentially waste turns (and yes, killing off your weakest units makes your side stronger because your best units get more turns)
#4EasylePosted 1/26/2014 12:37:42 PM
Banner Saga was very good, although I wouldn't pay more then the pre-order price for it. $25 is a little too much... $20 is just right.
#5SienrurouniPosted 1/26/2014 12:42:54 PM
Shadowrun Returns was fantastic. The gameplay was great, the story was enjoyable, I love having ridiculous charisma, and I'd definitely recommend it.

pothocket posted...

I'm very disappointed in the gameplay mechanics of Banner saga. Mainly that units do not threaten adjacent spaces. This means units can move around and away from hostile units with no penalty. Really stupid decision for a turn based game meant to detail how a fight plays out.

How is this different from every other srpg?
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#6pothocketPosted 1/26/2014 1:15:37 PM(edited)
Sienrurouni posted...
Shadowrun Returns was fantastic. The gameplay was great, the story was enjoyable, I love having ridiculous charisma, and I'd definitely recommend it.

pothocket posted...

Not sure if serious...

Maybe you should play something else besides Fire Emblem. Most of the tactical combat games I've played involve some sort of mechanics to represent how stupid it is to turn your back on an opponent or to ignore them and try to run right past em. Hell, even Xcom (which features ranged weapons) has overwatch.
#7Xantose161Posted 1/26/2014 1:20:56 PM
I loved shadowrun returns. It had a great story, writing, and combat system. Only disappoint was the linearity, but it didn't ruin it that much for me and it was still very enjoyable.
---
I7 2600K 3.4GHz | GTX 470 1280MB SC | Asus Sabertooth P67 | DDR3 1600 2x4 GB | 120GB Intel 5140 SSD | CM Silent Pro 850W | 120MM Liquid Cooler | CM HAF 922
#8ClouddxPosted 1/26/2014 2:05:48 PM
Shadowrun is pretty damn good.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#9MortalDangerPosted 1/26/2014 2:10:05 PM
pothocket posted...
Sienrurouni posted...

pothocket posted...

Not sure if serious...

Maybe you should play something else besides Fire Emblem. Most of the tactical combat games I've played involve some sort of mechanics to represent how stupid it is to turn your back on an opponent or to ignore them and try to run right past em. Hell, even Xcom (which features ranged weapons) has overwatch.

Right but they did this on purpose. It's just a mechanic of the game. I don't really see what the problem is, everyone plays by the same rules. They use different sized units to do it in a different way, is all.

Don't let these people fool ya, it's a great game. And frankly, it's not really about the combat.
---
God Bless America.
#10codyorrPosted 1/26/2014 2:29:25 PM
Nope haven't played them. Heard some complaining from my friend about modding Shadowrun Returns.