This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help creating a mini PC (console sized) for my fiance

#11PsythikPosted 1/26/2014 2:50:10 PM
son_gogetto posted...
Sorry, I meant recommended, not required. Watchdogs for example recommends an I7.
They're only saying that to cover their ass when someone with a 4-year-old i5 complains that they can't run the game. The i5 4670K destroys the the old i7 965 Extreme Edition, and the i3 4330 can keep up with old i5s and i7s

OK, so I'm confused whether to go with AMD at the moment. Obviously they're better bang for buck, but what about this whole bit coin mining thing at the moment? Isn't that just bumping the prices up higher than Nvidia equivalents anyway?
Like I said before, AMDs are only the better bang if you're not a gamer. Considering that this machine is going to be used for gaming, you'd have to be foolish to go with anything other than Intel.

And would an 8 core AMD processor be better than a quad core Intel? I love my I5 in my pc at the moment, so I would like to stick with intel for hers, but if AMD provides an 8 core processor for the same price, and runs better, than I'll use it instead.
Again, an 8-core AMD is only better if you're NOT a gamer. When it comes to games a quad-core Intel CPU will demolish the most expensive AMD CPU.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#12son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:02:14 PM
Psythik posted...
son_gogetto posted...
Sorry, I meant recommended, not required. Watchdogs for example recommends an I7.
They're only saying that to cover their ass when someone with a 4-year-old i5 complains that they can't run the game. The i5 4670K destroys the the old i7 965 Extreme Edition, and the i3 4330 can keep up with old i5s and i7s

OK, so I'm confused whether to go with AMD at the moment. Obviously they're better bang for buck, but what about this whole bit coin mining thing at the moment? Isn't that just bumping the prices up higher than Nvidia equivalents anyway?
Like I said before, AMDs are only the better bang if you're not a gamer. Considering that this machine is going to be used for gaming, you'd have to be foolish to go with anything other than Intel.

And would an 8 core AMD processor be better than a quad core Intel? I love my I5 in my pc at the moment, so I would like to stick with intel for hers, but if AMD provides an 8 core processor for the same price, and runs better, than I'll use it instead.
Again, an 8-core AMD is only better if you're NOT a gamer. When it comes to games a quad-core Intel CPU will demolish the most expensive AMD CPU.

Ok so intel is a definite, thanks mate.

Now for the GPU... something around the 650/7850 performance+price range. Do I wait for the bit coin mining inflation to come down first? Speaking of which, any idea how long that's going to go on for?
---
(GT: II Lazer II) - (PSN: ME GOOSTA) - (Steam ID: lilylazer666)
(3DS FC: 4339-3035-7150)
#13son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:31:42 PM
OK so how about this guys? (She was adamant on this case...)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheLazer/saved/3ywh

Is everything there compatible? Any areas I could save some bucks in for better performance? Or is there anything there that just wouldn't fit?
---
#14VIP86Posted 1/26/2014 3:34:04 PM
son_gogetto posted...

Is everything there compatible? Any areas I could save some bucks in for better performance? Or is there anything there that just wouldn't fit?

Can you spend a bit more for atleast a 650ti?
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#15ChA0TiCoNePosted 1/26/2014 3:36:42 PM
son_gogetto posted...
So I've finally convinced my fiance to get into PC gaming, having spent her life on the consoles. She was interested in the Steam boxes, but when I said it'll still be better to just make your own, but do it in a mini atx/itx case, she became interested in that idea.

It's now to the point where she's ready to buy one, and she wants me to put it together for her. Unfortunately I've never looked much into these small cases, and I don't know what it's limitations are. I assume I can't just go whacking in a 290x and i7 and call it a day.

Her budget is 400-450 (she wants to spent the same as she would on a new console) and she isn't too fussed about graphics, mainly stability. So based on this, I would like an AMD GPU and im undecided yet on whether an AMD or Intel CPU (perhaps a cheap I7? would an I3 offer much survivability for later years?)

If someone could either make me one on that pc part picker (UK version), or just give general advice on a mini pc build, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Why not just get her a Steam box? Its portable like a console. The requirements your looking for in a PC can very much be had by just getting a Steam box.
#16son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:38:45 PM
VIP86 posted...
son_gogetto posted...

Can you spend a bit more for atleast a 650ti?

Yeah, probably could really. I've just seen the dimensions of that case... Wtf it's 41cm tall...

So much for this 'small' pc -_-
---
#17son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 3:39:35 PM
ChA0TiCoNe posted...
son_gogetto posted...
So I've finally convinced my fiance to get into PC gaming, having spent her life on the consoles. She was interested in the Steam boxes, but when I said it'll still be better to just make your own, but do it in a mini atx/itx case, she became interested in that idea.

It's now to the point where she's ready to buy one, and she wants me to put it together for her. Unfortunately I've never looked much into these small cases, and I don't know what it's limitations are. I assume I can't just go whacking in a 290x and i7 and call it a day.

Her budget is 400-450 (she wants to spent the same as she would on a new console) and she isn't too fussed about graphics, mainly stability. So based on this, I would like an AMD GPU and im undecided yet on whether an AMD or Intel CPU (perhaps a cheap I7? would an I3 offer much survivability for later years?)

If someone could either make me one on that pc part picker (UK version), or just give general advice on a mini pc build, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Why not just get her a Steam box? Its portable like a console. The requirements your looking for in a PC can very much be had by just getting a Steam box.

Because it's cheaper to make one yourself, and they're not due out anytime soon. Mind you there's nothing she really does want at the moment, so maybe waiting isn't such a bad idea :\
---