This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

which OS is best for gaming? any other good programs to install as well?

#1king_maddenPosted 1/26/2014 4:29:45 PM
getting a brand new PC, and trying to decide which OS would be best for it. also which antivirus or other protection program should I get as well?
#2ShubPosted 1/26/2014 4:31:38 PM
Windows 8.1.
It comes with an OK antivirus, if you want something better you can look at the free, good ones like AVG or Avast. If you wanted to pay for one, I'd go with Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3LordSeiferPosted 1/26/2014 4:32:20 PM
Snow Leopard
---
^ this
#4ChA0TiCoNePosted 1/26/2014 4:32:48 PM
Most gamers prefer Windows 7 64 bit for gaming. Windows 8 is widely hated by the gaming community.
#5ChA0TiCoNePosted 1/26/2014 4:33:41 PM
Microsoft security essentials works fine. Its the best free antivirus you'll get.
#6-CJF-Posted 1/26/2014 4:35:59 PM
Windows 7and 8 are both fine for gaming but if you are going to buy one now, you may as well go for the latest and greatest. The biggest difference between the two is that Windows 8.1 lacks a proper start menu and opts to use the Metro interface instead, but that can easily be fixed using third-party software, and it's likely this will be updated by Microsoft in the future.

The included MSE software is a fine antivirus as long as you use some common sense. I would recommend pairing it up with some browser extensions to minimize the risk of infection through malicious scripts such as AdBlock and NoScript.
#7Bazooka_PenguinPosted 1/26/2014 4:36:22 PM
Windows 8.1 + Avast
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#8harcoreblazerPosted 1/26/2014 4:46:12 PM
Haven't tried Windows 8.1 yet (I refuse to update unless i can see that it's going to benefit me gaming and performance wise). But Windows 8 works fine for gaming, just don't try playing Hotline Miami.

As for Linux/Ubuntu or anything related to that, i think i used it on school computers and my dad notebook, all i know is that it works fine on Flash games, not sure about core gaming though, if i'm not mistaken most Valve games should work, but i suggest you wait until it gets more support.

Mac OS X from what i've heard it's not very good for gaming, and if you use it, you'll start a s!"#$storm on the internet.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#9ThePCElitistPosted 1/26/2014 5:03:27 PM(edited)
Windows 98: Second Edition

Still my favorite Windows OS aside from XP. Much nostalgia
#10daveyman23Posted 1/26/2014 5:10:54 PM
ChA0TiCoNe posted...
Most gamers prefer Windows 7 64 bit for gaming. Windows 8 is widely hated by the gaming community.

It is? I seem to recall a large amount of gamers pleased with the improved performance in their games with windows 8