This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

which OS is best for gaming? any other good programs to install as well?

#11ThePCElitistPosted 1/26/2014 4:31:57 PM
daveyman23 posted...
ChA0TiCoNe posted...
Most gamers prefer Windows 7 64 bit for gaming. Windows 8 is widely hated by the gaming community.

It is? I seem to recall a large amount of gamers pleased with the improved performance in their games with windows 8

There's a reason why MS is trying to fix Windows 8
#12RheygarPosted 1/26/2014 4:39:12 PM
Haven't had too many issues with 8.1, only one I can think of actually is the problems Corsair H100 had with it. Every game I have has played, and some classic games worked with a little bit of effort.
#13darkstar4221Posted 1/26/2014 4:45:55 PM(edited)
Given that 98.9% of pc games will only work with windows out of the box , windows is obviously the best for os for gaming. For modern gaming windows 7 or windows 8 will be fine. As for a virus scanner just use Comodo and make sure you uncheck and uninstall the optional software.
#14NingishzidaPosted 1/26/2014 5:02:16 PM
king_madden posted...
getting a brand new PC, and trying to decide which OS would be best for it. also which antivirus or other protection program should I get as well?

Windows 8.1

The only problem I've found with it is that it doesn't support 16 bit color depth on desktop, but there are non-OS workarounds for that, and only retro enthusiast gamers would miss it.

MalwareBytes
#15electroflamePosted 1/26/2014 5:26:16 PM
Microsoft security essentials works fine. Its the best free antivirus you'll get.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lntyx34xxx1qf9kud.gif
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame