This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommendations for a new keyboard.

#1ConkerPosted 1/27/2014 3:07:10 AM
I have a Corsair K90 and I do like it, but my wife can't stand the sound even if I don't bottom out. I've also had it for almost two years and a few of the keys "stick" and repeat quite frequently even though the key isn't ever stuck down...major pain when trying to play a twitch game.

So, I'd prefer:

-Not mechanical
-Solid for games (mainly Dota 2, SC2, and WoW)
-Doesn't have to have any macro keys or anything extra, though I do like the volume wheel on the K90 and prefer an easy Windows key lock (vs having to turn it off through software).
-Backlit, constantly play in dim light and I like adjustable brigthness, just not red

Also, I had a MSFT Sidewinder (both versions) at different times a couple years back, and while I liked them, the red backlighting drove me nuts, and overall I just didn't like the feel of the keys that much. I think I either prefer mechanical (Cherry Reds) or low-profile keys like the Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin (I like this one, my wife has it)...just figured there had to be something similar and/or better out there for gaming.

Thanks!
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#2Blobs_Posted 1/27/2014 3:15:14 AM(edited)
You could literally go down the the thrift store and get something that would suit most of your needs.
---
is haha
#3Conker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2014 3:36:41 AM
That's not true at all.
---
#4Love_Me_SexyPosted 1/27/2014 6:03:09 AM
Cooler Master QuickFire Ultimate or a Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid.
---
Intel 4930k || Asus X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || Kingston HyperX 16GB RAM + 240GB SSD || Thermaltake 1200w PSU
PC Wishlist: 27" GSync, KB
#5tiger8191Posted 1/27/2014 6:27:35 AM
^
Those are mechanical derp
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#6thatfool12GsPosted 1/27/2014 6:33:54 AM
Check out the Roccat Isku FX, or the Steelseries Apex models.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#7ElDudorinoPosted 1/27/2014 8:09:13 AM(edited)
I don't really know what you're asking. What do you mean when you say that you want something better than the Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin for gaming? Also, what do you mean about not liking the feel of the keys on the Sidewinder X4?

As far as I'm concerned, for a keyboard to cut it for gaming there is ONE and only one criteria that must be met: It needs a minimum of 6KRO. That means, I can hit any combination of 6 keys without the keyboard failing to recognize some of the keypresses. I used to have a $10 Logitech Internet 350 which actually had fantastic tactile response for a rubber dome keyboard but certain combinations of 3 keys would not be recognized, so I found for example at one point that I could not sprint forward and jump in Saint's Row 2 until I re-mapped my keys. Sucks to have to find a workaround like that. And just TRY playing the old classics like Marshmallow Duel or Star Control on a keyboard with 2KRO/3KRO!!

After trying out a lot of different keyboards I settled on the X4 because I find the tactile response acceptable if a bit weak and it has like 20KRO plus recessed macro keys on the side, media keys and other silly little extras. But it's red and you said you don't like the feel of the keys, so we're back to square one.

If you want something mushier than a Sidewinder X4, get a Logitech G-Keyboard. Those things are complete mushboards. You press a key all the way down and you don't even know you've touched the keyboard. They also have crummy build quality and a rash of other issues BUT you can choose whatever color you want for the backlighting and some of them have LCDs where you can display your game stats, CPU and GPU temps, etc. Huzzah!

If you want something with MORE tactile response than an X4 but that is NOT mechanical, honestly, I agree with the suggestion that you go to a thrift store. The honest truth is that you get the best tactile response from the cheapest keyboards. However, you probably won't find one with 6KRO...

Note that I've never tried the keyboards from thatfool12Gs' post, and I don't even know what a Roccat Isku is.
#8Conker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2014 10:31:16 AM
What I didn't like about the Sidewinders were that I felt they were kind of mushy feeling...I don't really know how to explain it but when you pressed on them they had an odd end to the press that felt like you were hitting a cushion. That and the red backlighting I got sick of quick.

And what I mean by better than the Logitech for gaming was...is there one? Is that considered a good one for gaming? I don't mind the low-profile type of keys and they feel like they have a decent press to them, but I just wasn't sure about something similar that was better...I don't really know the right questions to ask about keyboards really, I hadn't really spent that much time thinking about it.

In regards to getting a cheap keyboard that works for what I want, well I would like a volume/media key, Windows key lock, backlighting, and potentially nice tactile response without being loud (which I know mechanical ones can vary for that, but I'm guessing they won't for the reasons my wife cares, lol).
---
#9aak57Posted 1/27/2014 10:40:00 AM
If your wife complains about red switches not even being bottomed out, then you're pretty much out of luck as there's nothing loud about that. You could try getting some O-rings and applying them, though. Probably the first thing you should do.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#10ElDudorinoPosted 1/27/2014 10:50:07 AM
aak57 posted...
If your wife complains about red switches not even being bottomed out, then you're pretty much out of luck as there's nothing loud about that. You could try getting some O-rings and applying them, though. Probably the first thing you should do.

I don't have any experience with mechanical keyboards beyond having mashed on them a bit in the store but I've heard this can help a lot, so maybe that IS the first thing you should try. If the Sidewinder X4 is too soft and cushiony for you then do NOT under any circumstances use a Logitech G-Keyboard (G510, G15, G19, etc). As I'd said, the non-mechanical keyboards I've used with the best/most tactile response have always been the cheapy ones that you might have in the office and don't really think about. The Logitech Internet 350 is this way, all the old Keytronic keyboards I've used are this way, some Dell keyboards that came with pre-builts are this way, etc. But, they aren't made with gaming in mind, so I don't know if any of those will have more than 2KRO or 3KRO.

That's the messed-up thing about keyboards. It's hard to get a keyboard that's the best at EVERYTHING. I had to settle when I got my Sidewinder X4 because it was the closest match I found to my ideal keyboard but still not perfect. It sounds like your K90 is a good one but it's going to drive your wife crazy. Maybe you SHOULD figure out if that Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin has adequate NKRO.