This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Might and Magic X, or Blackguards?

#1KeeperofthedarkPosted 1/27/2014 12:36:22 PM
Both of these titles have piqued my interest, but I'm unsure on which to get. On one hand, I do love sprgs, so I immediately want to get Blackguards, but Might and Magic also looks very interesting. Anyone have any thoughts?
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/27/2014 12:49:30 PM
36 vs 25 dollars right now. Personally, after seeing a vid on blackguards and reading the forums, it seems like it would be a little on the boring side. I too was interested in both but decided on might and magic.

Might and Magic X isn't without its faults though. The optimization is crap (unity engine I believe), so you'll have your framerate bounce all over the place with settings turned up. Luckily this is a turn and grid based rpg so framerate really isn't too important. The game is also quite difficult as well even on the lower difficulty (only 2 to choose from) thanks to the fact that there is 0 grinding for extra experience/gold (enemies don't respawn). Personally, that's a plus for me as it means that you really need to think about what to improve and what to ignore when leveling. Its very old school and is really hitting the spot for me.

I will probably get blackguards but not at full price as the forum complaints have me a little worried (moreso than the ones in the M&MX boards have).
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3dekouPosted 1/27/2014 12:56:04 PM
Play through the demo of Blackguards. It's quite long and will give you a good idea of what the game's like.
#4MarikhenPosted 1/27/2014 12:59:55 PM
The new Might & Magic looks like it plays out like a turn-based Legend of Grimrock with hotkeys. The whole "more story and with merchants" thing might be worth noting too, but it doesn't change the whole turn-based Grimrock feel that the videos of it have. Take that how you will. /shrugs.
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#5DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/27/2014 1:02:03 PM
Marikhen posted...
The new Might & Magic looks like it plays out like a turn-based Legend of Grimrock with hotkeys.

This is exactly what it is and has been for most of the 'might and magic' series. So yeah it plays like a might and magic game. Grimrock plays like a M&M/Wizardry game and not the other way around :P
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#6MarceloSampaioPosted 1/27/2014 1:12:21 PM(edited)
Might and Magic X is actually fun. Its turn-based and tile-based, much like the earlier MMs.

The gameplay is amazing. Feels old-school, but has some modernizations, like skill bars and map notes. The characters are varied, as are the enemies. The graphics aren't bad, and the sound is amazing. The engine is meh. The game stutters even on a newer PC, and REQUIRES 64-bit OS for maxing out the graphics.

One thing that I don't like about it though is that, unlike ALL other MMs, this one doesn't have any kind of respawning enemies. In other words, there's a finite number of mobs, and when you clear one area, its clear forever (as in, EMPTY). The dungeons have some fun (and hard) puzzles, but the core of the game is exploration and combat. It has less puzzles than Grimrock, for example. There's also an amazing skill system that feels similar to Mitght and Magic 6.

All in all, its a fun game though. Its not as hard as the older RPGs from our youth, but it IS harder than Grimrock. Oh, and while this game isn't very long, don't expect to beat it in less than 40 hours, ok?

BTW, this game requires UPLAY, even if you buy it from Steam. ;)

---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#7MarikhenPosted 1/27/2014 2:59:13 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
This is exactly what it is and has been for most of the 'might and magic' series. So yeah it plays like a might and magic game. Grimrock plays like a M&M/Wizardry game and not the other way around :P

What little I vaguely recall of my experiences in playing one or two M&M titles would suggest that it wasn't quite the same. There's a bit more of a "real time" and "seamless" feel to the transition from exploration to combat in this game than my vague, and in all likelihood possibly incorrect, recollections of the older games. I generally lumped them with the Wizardry titles.
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11