This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Witcher series, start with 1 or 2?

#91NingishzidaPosted 1/27/2014 10:46:05 PM
MrMonkhouse posted...
Okay enough with the debate.

is there any word on whether Witcher 3 will be a big improvement over the first two? I'm talking about Assassin's Creed 3 to Assassins' Creed 4 type of transition.... because a lot of people in this topic make it really sound like the first two Witcher games like AC3.

TW3 will be a Skyrim clone, mark my words.
#92jakisthePosted 1/27/2014 11:01:00 PM
Yeah, but your words also said "colorful=immature", so I dunno how to take them...
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#93MrMonkhousePosted 1/27/2014 11:08:35 PM
Ningishzida posted...
MrMonkhouse posted...
Okay enough with the debate.

is there any word on whether Witcher 3 will be a big improvement over the first two? I'm talking about Assassin's Creed 3 to Assassins' Creed 4 type of transition.... because a lot of people in this topic make it really sound like the first two Witcher games like AC3.

TW3 will be a Skyrim clone, mark my words.

And Skyrim was a good game. Any word on the mods? It doesn't look like the Witcher has a big fanbase for mods.
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#94Max58201Posted 1/27/2014 11:16:04 PM
I could not stand the combat in 2...did not play 1 but I did not get very far in 2 before i returned it

you can argue that the story is good...but if the gameplay sucks why should I have to force myself through that just to see a story

if the story is good but the gameplay sucks watch a lets play on youtube or just a cutscene film of the game on youtube
---
Official Occult Iaito of the Dark Souls board.
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#95Devil_wings00Posted 1/27/2014 11:17:50 PM
ryan0991 posted...
MMAKSX posted...
I was under the impression that 2 was a well regarded title and that 3 is really anticipated...

Also Alpha Protocol is awesome, mediocre in some aspects but still fun.

It is well regarded. There's just a few really vocal haters on this board.

Ya two is very well liked. Honestly this has to be the first time I've ever heard any sort of vitriol towards the second game. At most some just didn't like the combat (which has an officially developed mod to improve it) so it drove them away from the game.

The first game on the other hand is a much more divisive game. It's a diablo type game although you can play it over the shoulder but it's pretty wonky that way since that was added WAY later in the directors cut version. Also Witcher 1 has aged fine if you throw a few graphics mods in there to improve the textures, the game looks pretty good once you do. Still gameplay wise...not going to lie and pretend it's the best but it is something you will get used to if the story floats your boat.

As for the consoleification of 2...they included decent controller support out of the box on a, at the time, PC exclusive? HERESY! The menu's are crap with or without the gamepad in 2, nothing to do with "consoleification" just bad design but that's what we have mods for right?
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz
GTX 580 SLI
#96NingishzidaPosted 1/28/2014 2:07:08 AM
Devil_wings00 posted...
The first game on the other hand is a much more divisive game. It's a diablo type game although you can play it over the shoulder

Diablo and TW are nothing, nothing at all alike, to anyone familiar with both games.
#97ChromaticAngelPosted 1/29/2014 11:55:56 AM
xBrokenxHalox posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
it made an attack roll to hit the spider, sometimes you missed, sometimes you hit, you know, more like a real RPG

"real RPG"

Yes, you know, the kind played with books, and dice, around a table with "real people"
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#98_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 1/29/2014 2:56:38 PM
The developer made a video summary of all the story in 1. It is quite good, and you can find it on youtube.

If you watch that, I feel like you do not have to play 1 to understand and appreciate 2. While it is a continuation of the old story, it is very much a new chapter for which the former only serves as kind of a backdrop.

That said, if you enjoy it, then you might as well start with one (why would you skip it). I though the witcher 1 was boring as all hell, but I am a small minority it seems.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Deathadder 3.5G full gloss | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#99clowningPosted 1/29/2014 3:33:08 PM
I would start with 5, maybe by then the combat won't suck.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle