This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Arch Linux and friends

#1StarksPosted 1/27/2014 10:30:16 PM
Arch, Manjaro, Antergos, whatever...

Do you run it and do you like it?

I think the ecosystem is much better than Ubuntu. Fresh packages and clean, easy compilation tools for the adventurous.

Or are you guys more into the whole "install gentoo" craze?
---
i7 3632QM | Radeon 7730M | 8GB DDR3 | 15.6" 1080p Matte
#2WyzeGyePosted 1/28/2014 1:18:55 AM
I think Orestes is the only person I'd lump into the "you guys" you refer to. Not that it's a bad thing, but unfortunately, as the lack of responses will show, you're asking in the wrong place. People here like to think they're experts, but take away windows and they are clueless.

Though I like Debian, and am in the process of deciding on a BSD OS for a mining rig, I've never attempted gentoo, and the only time I bothered with arch, I needed a computer toot sweet... And didn't feel like doing everything in hard mode and opted instead for mint Debian in that situation when arch didn't work out of the proverbial box.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#3AlexKidd5000Posted 1/28/2014 1:41:36 AM
I've been using Manjaro for a while now, and its really good, its really stable, has a respectable repo of software, and just works nice and smooth. There are a few distros I'd ever recommend to anyone thinking about using Linux, and they are Linux Mint Debian Edition, PCLinuxOS, and Manjaro. They are the best Linux has to offer IMO.
#4ChetyrePosted 1/28/2014 3:19:51 AM
My main OS is archlinux. In fact my gaming PC runs only it natively, windows games are played in a VM.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#5New LinkPosted 1/28/2014 10:36:53 AM
I am and always will be a Slackware user, but the machine I'm typing this on is Arch. Arch is pretty nice, very easy to set up and use, not a lot of bullcrap to deal with (Looking at you LightDM) but using pacman scares the crap out of me, as I can notice when its pulling packages that it just doesn't need and nor did I ask for.

That being said, I've often thought about taking a fresh install of slackware-current and plopping in Grub2 and Systemd and just watch that thing fly.

Aint nothing wrong with Arch though, aside from a large section of the community which believes that they are so one three three seven because they can follow the beginners installation guide. They make me giggle.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#6Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 11:43:07 AM
I've used Arch for a few years now, mainly because it's one of the few distros out there to do a binary rolling release really well and it's flexibility is second only to likes of Gentoo and LFS. That and some of the most amazing documentation in the *nix world in general make it a perfect fit for me.

Manjaro makes my head hurt, the whole premise behind the OS seems wrongheaded. You don't take an ultra fast moving distro built specifically for people who know what they're doing by people who know what they're doing and try to repurpose it for the newbie set. It just ends up with someone bleeding. I'm not going to bash people for using it, but I do shake my head when things blow up.

Antergos at least does little more than create a pretty installer for the default Arch repos and add a few new graphical tools on top. Think PC-BSD for Arch and you won't be that far off. It has it's place but there's not really all that much to recommend it over Arch itself.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#7Worknofun370Posted 1/28/2014 11:49:13 AM
I moved to Arch a little over a year ago now. I made the decision to get rid of any Windows machines and just go full Linux. (Went about 8 months, but then a few games that just wouldn't work in WINE broke me.)

I tried about 10-12 distros in a month period just trying to narrow down the one that fit my needs and preferences as well as possible. Arch was far and away that distro for me.

It feels as if I have a great amount of control over what is and is not on my system (in a manner that's better than other distros at least.), with an absolutely amazing community and documentation. I really haven't looked back for desktop needs.

I still run CentOS for my server needs though. Arch really isn't a good candidate for the server world IMHO.
#8Worknofun370Posted 1/28/2014 11:53:29 AM(edited)
WyzeGye posted...
I think Orestes is the only person I'd lump into the "you guys" you refer to. Not that it's a bad thing, but unfortunately, as the lack of responses will show, you're asking in the wrong place. People here like to think they're experts, but take away windows and they are clueless.

There are a few pretty good linux users on this board, I know of a couple professional Linux SysAdmins that roam these parts.

But yes, there are others here who think they know linux when they really know how to open browsers and install a few applications.
#9Treason686Posted 1/28/2014 11:54:20 AM
Used it a bit as my first distro in a VM entirely because it was so basic.

I'm dual-booting Ubuntu 13.10 with Windows, and while it has a lot of fluff, I like the fluff and large support available for when I need help since I'm still a newbie.
---
I updated my sig!
#10Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 12:03:14 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

There are a few pretty good linux users on this board, I know of a couple professional Linux SysAdmins that roam these parts.

But yes, there are others here who think they know linux when they really know how to open browsers and install a few applications.

Yeah we've got at least 5-6 regulars, and a few who may still be lurking somewhere. Ringo was pretty hardcore back in the day and Storms will kick my ass when it comes to Gentoo (luckily I'll be half a country away by the time the program to arm the nukes finishes compiling =P). Seem to recall New Link working on a package management project too, unless I was hallucinating.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?