This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Arch Linux and friends

#11Digital StormPosted 1/28/2014 11:03:21 AM
A mix of Gentoo and Arch.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#12Worknofun370Posted 1/28/2014 11:17:24 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
I think Orestes is the only person I'd lump into the "you guys" you refer to. Not that it's a bad thing, but unfortunately, as the lack of responses will show, you're asking in the wrong place. People here like to think they're experts, but take away windows and they are clueless.

There are a few pretty good linux users on this board, I know of a couple professional Linux SysAdmins that roam these parts.

But yes, there are others here who think they know linux when they really know how to open browsers and install a few applications.

Yeah we've got at least 5-6 regulars, and a few who may still be lurking somewhere. Ringo was pretty hardcore back in the day and Storms will kick my ass when it comes to Gentoo (luckily I'll be half a country away by the time the program to arm the nukes finishes compiling =P). Seem to recall New Link working on a package management project too, unless I was hallucinating.

Yeah, I remember New Link saying something about that, or at a minimum he worked on/for a Linux DIstro, but I can't remember which one.

RIngo is a name I haven't heard in awhile, I remember him being pretty well rounded, and DS has likely forgotten more than I'll ever learn.
#13New LinkPosted 1/28/2014 11:59:18 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
I think Orestes is the only person I'd lump into the "you guys" you refer to. Not that it's a bad thing, but unfortunately, as the lack of responses will show, you're asking in the wrong place. People here like to think they're experts, but take away windows and they are clueless.

There are a few pretty good linux users on this board, I know of a couple professional Linux SysAdmins that roam these parts.

But yes, there are others here who think they know linux when they really know how to open browsers and install a few applications.

Yeah we've got at least 5-6 regulars, and a few who may still be lurking somewhere. Ringo was pretty hardcore back in the day and Storms will kick my ass when it comes to Gentoo (luckily I'll be half a country away by the time the program to arm the nukes finishes compiling =P). Seem to recall New Link working on a package management project too, unless I was hallucinating.

Yeah, I remember New Link saying something about that, or at a minimum he worked on/for a Linux DIstro, but I can't remember which one.

RIngo is a name I haven't heard in awhile, I remember him being pretty well rounded, and DS has likely forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

Yeah, my day job is as a sysadmin for RHEL and HP-UX servers. I also am the lead developer for DescentOS. As a final point, anyone who just looked up DescentOS knows it was originally ubuntu based, then debian based. We've scrapped debian (thank god) completely and moved to an entirely new LFS base. Ihave developed a working package manager for it, but I had a major fiasco these past few months and have been unable to do a few revisions to the package manager before we ship it. As for the current available version, its debian build is still available.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#14Starks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 6:07:35 PM
I tried vanilla Arch a few months ago. It's a pain in the ass.

You have to know what you need before you know what you want, Problem is you don't always know what need and that leads to a lot time using pacman, mostly trial and error.

I liked Manjaro until it became clear that both its evolving premise and security model were flawed.

Antergos is a nice compromise. Great hardware detection, actual Arch repos, GNOME 3, and no crappy Manjaro scripts.

They need to fix their UEFI installer though.
---
i7 3632QM | Radeon 7730M | 8GB DDR3 | 15.6" 1080p Matte
#15Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 6:13:12 PM
UEFI installs can be an adventure even when you know what you're doing.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#16Starks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 6:20:08 PM
Oh believe me, I've learned that quickly.

Always point to /boot/efi, not /boot for your boot partition.

It's fun setting up refind and grub only to learn that your entries are missing.

The complexity of UEFI confuses me. BIOS and MBR were so simple. How did Intel screw up so badly?
---
#17New LinkPosted 1/28/2014 9:27:55 PM
What's even more fun is uEFI + SecureBoot. Nothing like Microsoft handling the certificate authority over which operating systems I can install on my own hardware....

Yes, it's possible to mitigate, but a worthless obstacle at that.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#18Starks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 9:49:34 PM
People want signed kernels?

Secureboot only sucks if you have an ARM device
---
#19Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 10:02:50 PM
well technically its not ms but verisgn, but it was Microsoft's initiative. honestly it was another case of good idea implemented in a way that could never not be a pain in the backside for open source
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#20Worknofun370Posted 1/29/2014 9:31:01 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
UEFI installs can be an adventure even when you know what you're doing.

Truth.

I finally got UEFI setup on my laptop, but when I first did an install on it after about 3 hours of screwing around I said **** this, i'm enabling legacy bios and calling it a day.