This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xcom Enemy within worth it?

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 1/28/2014 7:25:26 AM
I was wondering if Xcom enemy within is worth it? I got Enemy Unknown on release and played it til the final mission but never got to finish it due to bugs. I was wondering if enemy within is worth it and if it includes the slingshot and other DLCs? Does it also help make the game not so linear as I feel there was more freedom in the original one compared to enemy unknown and does it add more replayability?
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#2ShadowThaReaperPosted 1/28/2014 7:42:17 AM
No. It's the same crap.
#3TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 7:57:07 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
No. It's the same crap.

Care to explain more about it? was really wondering if I should get it or not.
---
#4SpazH3dPosted 1/28/2014 8:09:48 AM
Disregard that poster. Take a look at this page and decide for yourself, since we can't know how much you enjoy the game. http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

The MECs are awesome and I love the added fun with gene mods on my soldiers. They also added some more second wave stuff that makes it a little more in-depth.
---
- My vision is augmented
#5ShubPosted 1/28/2014 8:25:54 AM(edited)
I can share my impressions but keep in mind I never played XCOM Enemy Unknown, I only played Enemy Within. I had EU for a long time but just never got around to playing it. When EW came out and I could get it for cheap, I took the opportunity and then made some time to play it.
Overall it was OK but I don't see any replay value in the game.
Too much hand-holding.
Everything to do with EXALT was just a huge chore. It adds nothing to the plot, the missions are obnoxious and I felt compelled to cheat just to get it over with quicker.
The addition of Meld makes for useful upgrades, but even without having played the original game, I feel as though it's just a gadget. After playing with it a bit, I decided it wasn't worth my time.
It doesn't include Slingshot but if you have it, EW integrates it better within the campaign.
After beating the campaign once, I tried to start a new game (classic difficulty, ironman mode) and didn't have the motivation to keep playing past a few missions.

Coming from the actual original games from the 90s, I felt that:
- I preferred having multiple bases to manage
- I didn't like the whole satellite mechanics much
- I sorely missed having alien crafts of my own beyond the Firestorm
- I didn't like that the base attack was mostly a scripted event of the campaign rather than an actual threat that can occur at any time and for which you must prepare
- Some of the more interesting alien races were missing or relegated to a minor role
- Where's my blaster launcher? :(
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6ShubPosted 1/28/2014 8:37:17 AM
So anyway, aside from my impressions of the game as a whole when compared to X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Terror from the Deep, I'll distill what I thought of EW compared to EU, again keeping in mind I never played EU.

- EXALT was a pain in my ass and I cheated to get it over with quicker.
- If genetic and cybernetic enhancements for your soldiers mean a lot to you and you enjoyed EU and you want to play through the game again with those new features, I think you should be happy.

Probably the best thing you can do is read the link that SpazH3d posted.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 8:55:04 AM
Cheers! I will take in to account what was said in the link and the thoughts in this post. I am leaning towards not getting it due to the feeling that the game is too linear and that most of the events are scripted story missions rather than random things going wrong like in the original game. I never really played the original to the point of finishing the story but I kind of liked its sense of dread that you really don't have a clue about your enemy and things could go wrong anytime.
---
#8happyscrub1Posted 1/28/2014 9:46:14 AM
If you like xcom gameplay, it's really worth it. Adds a lot of dept to the game

If you like xcom story, it's not worth it because it doesn't add much of anything to the storyline.
---
Season 4 Tier list
http://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/11968150744/
#9happyscrub1Posted 1/28/2014 9:47:46 AM
Anytime someone brings up X-com, it's always some old X-com hipster complaining that the game didn't live up to what they liked.
---
Season 4 Tier list
http://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/11968150744/
#10GynthaeresPosted 1/28/2014 10:00:09 AM
If you enjoyed XCOM: EU, then definitely get EW. It adds a lot to the game.

It's basically like Civilization V vanilla, vs. Civilization V + expansions. It's virtually a new game, and for the better, with all the changes and additions they've made.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.