This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Replacing processor fan

#1farseer_86Posted 1/28/2014 9:37:03 AM
My Computer keeps restarting itself when I play games. I think my processor fan is not working that well anymore because I check Speccy (I don't know if the program is reliable or not) and the temperatures is quite high for the processor. I was thinking of replacing my CPU Fan. Should I get a replacement of the same standard fan or get a fan that is made by other companies (like Coolermaster, Enermax, etc)? I won't be doing any overclocking.
---
--------
#2Killah PriestPosted 1/28/2014 9:40:33 AM
if your case has access to the back of the mobo go with an aftermarket cooler, no question.

if you case does not have access to the back of the mobo, you have to decide if you want to pull out your entire mobo or not.

some aftermarket coolers do use push pins but most use brackets that go on the back of the motherboard.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3SonyHoundDawgPosted 1/28/2014 9:58:06 AM
If your not overclocking the standard fan should be great. If the fans spinning and your CPU is overheating, then you might need some fresh thermal paste and break out the canned air and make sure its not clogging with dust.
#4Killah PriestPosted 1/28/2014 10:22:29 AM
yea a good cleaning and thermal paste application could help significantly.

as for the standard fan for non overclocking, yes thats true but if you're replacing the fan anyways you might as well spend like 10 extra dollars and get a better cooler, assuming you have access to the back of the mobo or don't mind removing it.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5Fear The ClownPosted 1/28/2014 11:01:36 AM
You should get an aftermarket cooler($20-$30) and some arctic 5 thermal paste. Find a video on youtube on how to clean off old paste off your CPU and then one on how to apply the paste and install fan if you're not familiar with the entire procedure. Even if you are it probably wouldn't hurt to watch a video for a refresher, it'll save you from having to deal with the same headache again down the road by making sure you did it right the first time.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3