This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Origin and Uplay are good things for PC gaming.

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 1/28/2014 2:22:24 PM(edited)
I don't know why so many PC gamers are against Ubisoft and EA having their own game clients.

You realize that by having their own services on PC it gives these two companies added incentive to always release PC versions of their games, right?

If they sold their games on Steam, Valve takes 30% of the profit. With their own services Ubisoft and EA get 100% of the profit. These kinds of profit margins are unprecedented in the gaming industry and it essentially makes PC gamers twice as valuable as a console gamer, as a console game that sells for $60 EA is lucky to see $30 in profit out of after all the middlemen take their cut, but a PC game that sells for $60 on Origin EA gets all of it.

Titanfall is a great example of why Origin is a good thing. Originally EA was going to make this an Xbox exclusive for that sweet sweet Microsoft exclusivity money. However, thanks to Origin, the profits of a PC version would simply be too great to ignore and Microsoft could not pony up enough cash to override the money EA would also get from releasing a PC version and so EA refused to sign an agreement to make it exclusive to just the Xboxes.

I've also seen a spike in the amount and quality of support Ubisoft has been giving to PC gaming ever since Uplay got rolled out and working smoothly. Seems like every new Ubisoft game now has the PC version as its lead platform and a bounty of PC-centric options.
#2AltmadragonPosted 1/28/2014 2:22:35 PM
good, we needed you to verify this.
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#3electroflamePosted 1/28/2014 2:23:30 PM
And yet, if it's on Origin (or Uplay, to a lesser extent) there's no chance I'm buying the game, so it's as if it was never ported.

If it was on Steam, its chance of being bought by me increases by at least 100%.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#4LoshadtPosted 1/28/2014 2:26:45 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5ClouddxPosted 1/28/2014 2:26:59 PM
Says the guy who thinks CoD: Ghosts actually looks good.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#6LoshadtPosted 1/28/2014 2:28:07 PM
And here I thought they were unnecessary services that add another layer of DRM to our games while bringing the end-user nothing of any real benefit while simultaneously ensuring that any game published by either of these companies will force us to install said service.

But that's silly, because that implies that I would buy games from either of these publishers anyway.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#7ChamillionLivePosted 1/28/2014 2:32:43 PM
And yet EA hasn't ported a sports game that's not FIFA or Tiger Woods to PC in about 5 years.
---
"C4 is not a substitute for a certified mechanic." - A_Hairy_Waffle
#8daniel79Posted 1/28/2014 2:39:19 PM
Doesn't matter how you swing it, all of these 'Clients' are crap and cripple the consumer of their rights.

There's no two ways about it. I'll use Steam and that's it, that's bad enough for me let alone having others added on top of the burden of having to use any.
#9ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 2:51:34 PM
electroflame posted...
And yet, if it's on Origin (or Uplay, to a lesser extent) there's no chance I'm buying the game, so it's as if it was never ported.

If it was on Steam, its chance of being bought by me increases by at least 100%.

No one cares about you.

EA still makes a 29% additional profit by having their own client even if they are giving up the 1% Valve fanboys.
#10LoshadtPosted 1/28/2014 2:55:28 PM(edited)
Oh man, next thing you know he'll start calling us entitled! EA is a garbage company with an even worse client, I wouldn't trust them even if they were the only game in town.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.