This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to bypass Window's file and path length restrictions?

#1RajhinPosted 1/28/2014 3:22:24 PM
Or do I have to put a file outside of my normal music folder or rename it? Or alternatively butcher the folder name which has the composer, performer, and conductor? The file name is "02 02 - Symphony, no. 05, e minor Finale. Andante maestoso - Allegro vivace - Molto vivace - Moderato assai e molto maestoso - Presto Op. 64.flac" Has disc number, track number, symphony number, the name, opus number, etc. I can't rename it without butchering the file name. Window's length restrictions means no classical allowed.
---
"i see a few maggots came to feed on this topic's corpse." - Fony
#2SinisterSlayPosted 1/28/2014 3:24:45 PM
You might have to switch to Linux.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 1/28/2014 3:25:53 PM
As far as I know the file name limitations are tied to the OS, so no you cannot go past the limits... I'm sort of confused though because you don't need the folder name to be identical to the filename so what exactly is the issue again????
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#4Ch3wyPosted 1/28/2014 3:26:58 PM
Have you tried using meta data instead of relying on file names?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 3:28:00 PM
Ch3wy posted...

Far, far too sensible an option. He should just be thankful he isn't a Fiona Apple fan.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#6Rajhin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 3:36:30 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
You might have to switch to Linux.

I was thinking this, I'll need to find a distro I like since I tried Ubuntu and hated it but I'll look into it.

HydroCannabinol posted...
As far as I know the file name limitations are tied to the OS, so no you cannot go past the limits... I'm sort of confused though because you don't need the folder name to be identical to the filename so what exactly is the issue again????

If I make the folder name "tovsy-S456" instead of "Tchaikovsy - Symphonies Nos. 4, 5, 6 (Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra, Mravinsky) [1990] [FLAC]" and put it on the root directory of my hard drive it's still too long.

Ch3wy posted...

I do, but why can't I have both a correct file name and metadata? If I can on Linux I should be able to on Windows. Metadata is a problem too though, it isn't made for classical music and neither are music players, but at least I can work around it. It's made for one artist and I don't get to see useful info like "Hugo Alfvén performed by Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Stig Westerberg" as the combined composer, conductor, performer tags, and instead have to show just artist and have the rest hidden.
---
"i see a few maggots came to feed on this topic's corpse." - Fony
#7Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 3:39:13 PM
The problem with really long filenames is they're a horrible pain in the ass to work with.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#8SinisterSlayPosted 1/28/2014 3:41:08 PM
I once wrote a program that used folder structure to edit an mp3's files meta data to match.

I think it went
Genre -> Band -> Albumn -> Songname

Might be editable to work with flac
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9Digital StormPosted 1/28/2014 3:41:49 PM
No, you can't, neither can *nix as far as I know. Deal with it.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#10Ch3wyPosted 1/28/2014 3:51:32 PM(edited)
Rajhin posted...

Ch3wy posted...

I do, but why can't I have both a correct file name and metadata? If I can on Linux I should be able to on Windows. Metadata is a problem too though, it isn't made for classical music and neither are music players, but at least I can work around it. It's made for one artist and I don't get to see useful info like "Hugo Alfvén performed by Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Stig Westerberg" as the combined composer, conductor, performer tags, and instead have to show just artist and have the rest hidden.

I personally find the song name to be the best file name. And I just keep the rest in meta data(and/or contained in the file directory tree).

There are custom tags in meta data so it can work for anything. I'm not sure about whatever player you use, but foobar can recognize these and make them part of the display. Composer, Performer, and Artist are all standard tags that any player should recognize though.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.