This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to bypass Window's file and path length restrictions?

#21HydroCannabinolPosted 1/28/2014 5:43:59 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Well, actually that's not true. You can use an IFS to run other filesystems with windows, there just aren't that many written.

IFS as in Integrated File system, or something else??

Can you link me to an IFS that supports more than 255 character file names as well as supporting Win7 in the very least? ^_^

I believe you because I know you're smart, but I am skeptical about this still...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#22Orestes417Posted 1/28/2014 5:47:31 PM
IFS = Installable Filesystem, the main reason I know they exist is I used to use an Ext2 implementation for Windows a few years back for a shared storage volume. Don't think any will get you past the the file name limit though, it's a pretty common practice.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#23urtvPosted 1/28/2014 5:48:41 PM
it didnt let you get away with the long name because you dont have tchaikovsky's violin concerto in d major
#24HydroCannabinolPosted 1/28/2014 5:53:23 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
IFS = Installable Filesystem, the main reason I know they exist is I used to use an Ext2 implementation for Windows a few years back for a shared storage volume. Don't think any will get you past the the file name limit though, it's a pretty common practice.

Oh, ok. I thought you were replying to me. If you were, then you are admitting I am right so that defeats the purpose of your [original] post in the first place. >:P

/semantics

Edit: Thinking about it even though there may not be any IFS' that support it now, the possibility that one could be written and installed on Windows is enough to say that the limitation is not of Windows but with the filesystem itself like the other poster said thus making my post wrong which is what you said to begin with.

I take back my 'arguing semantics' argument and hang my head low in failure. -_-;
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil