This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A tiny bit of pizza oil got into keyboard..

#1xSoldier24xPosted 1/29/2014 11:52:53 AM
I was eating pizza and some of the oil got underneath my laptops spacebar everything seems to be working fine the backlight is doing ok too their just seems to be a small bit of oil their. Should i be worried?
---
The Wire- One of the most intense well written and elaborate shows out.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 1/29/2014 11:53:55 AM
No but just in case, better use a blow torch to burn off the oil.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3turbogoonPosted 1/29/2014 11:55:16 AM
Sweet mod, turn the space bar into a lube dispenser! Time for shark tank!
#4PraetorXynPosted 1/29/2014 11:57:36 AM
I'm extremely paranoid about grease and oil getting on my stuff. Unfortunately I have to eat at my computer desk a lot because of the traveling I do for work.

I wouldn't worry about it damaging the internals, but if it really did get under the space bar it might get sticky when it dries and start sticking slightly.

If you were going to clean it, I'd suggest a microfiber cloth and 90%+ (preferably 99%) Isopropyl Alcohol.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#5PhilOnDezPosted 1/29/2014 11:58:32 AM
Oil is nonconductive, you could literally soak your laptop in vegetable oil overnight and aside from the fact that it would be disgusting everything aside from the ODD and maybe HDD (SSD would be fine) everything would work fine.

As long as the key isn't sticking and it doesn't smell awful don't worry about it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6BogePosted 1/29/2014 11:59:58 AM
You can pop the keys off easily enough (are mechanical keyboards the same?) and clean underneath.
---
How I see nearly every GameFAQs user: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2WriEmH5c
#7-5xad0w-Posted 1/29/2014 12:02:17 PM
Boge posted...
You can pop the keys off easily enough (are mechanical keyboards the same?) and clean underneath.

Laptop keys tend to be a bit more of a pain to put back on since they typically use a scissor style (not sure that is the right term) bracket thing to hold the keys on.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#8Fade2black001Posted 1/29/2014 12:13:34 PM(edited)
This is why you dont eat food at your computer....
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#9R i c kPosted 1/29/2014 12:14:15 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
TOhis is why you dont eat food at your computer....
Wrong. This is why you drape a dish towel or some such over your kb/m while you eat at your computer.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#10r0ge00Posted 1/29/2014 12:15:05 PM
R i c k posted...
Wrong. This is why you drape a dish towel or some such over your kb/m while you eat at your computer.

Or move it completely out of the way like I do while I watch a stream or show.